Hargreaves Lansdown

www.hl.co.uk
  www.hl.co.uk
There are newer employer reviews for Hargreaves Lansdown

Not what you would expect from a FTSE 100 listed company

Former Employee - Stockbroker's Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)
Former Employee - Stockbroker's Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Hargreaves Lansdown

Pros

A swarve, sophisticated place to work giving a big city feel in the heart of Bristol. Nice offices, straight talking professionals, central location, fair salary.

Cons

The work is essentially boring with nothing in the way of structure or development for new starters,
Staff are allowed to languish and a terrible dog eat dog attitude abounds. There was no support from management.

Try to build up a proper new starter process, instigate actual policies behind the good values that management holds and communicate these ideas to low level management. Instigate policies that help new starters and ensure there is a documented framework behind employee CPD and HR. Consider expanding HR and communicate these techniques to management. Employ a recruiting manager as it was obvious that the back office manager did the recruiting and he got a S.A who was basically just like a pupil in the class to come over and help him when he felt like it. Communicate to low level management that they need to be resposible for ensuring that everyone in their team know what they are doing. Give a detailed job description with a structured report of what is expected of you on a daily basis. Get the line managers to communciate this to the staff and well.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Hargreaves Lansdown (View Most Recent)

A fund supermarket: just like working at Asda...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Hargreaves Lansdown

Pros

Central location, near the shops/banks and easily accessible by public transport.

Cons

At the interview, my future line managers and I agreed on a figure for my salary. I was also told that within 6 months I would be joining an in-house training program to become a trader or a stockbroker (mine was an entry-level job), and that my salary would double. I should have smelled a rat.
    When I received the letter offering me the job, the salary stated was 25% lower than the salary agreed at the interview. I called and was told the salary was not negotiable. I should have pulled out there and then but I thought of the training program so I took the job.

After I had started work there, HR decided that the fact that I had told them I did not have a credit card, or any loans of any kind, meant that I must be in debt. I actually had a fund account (elsewhere) and several savings accounts! Getting them to admit that I hadn't lied on my form and that I had really never gotten in debt was quite painstaking.

The in-house training program never happened. In fact, I found out that all my colleagues had been told the same story, and several years afterwards, they were still in the same department, doing the same tasks. Obviously there was a lot of turnover as well: many would leave after 6 months or 1 year.

The pay rates are really low, they hire a lot of young graduates who know absolutely nothing about finance (neither they nor any of their relatives have ever held any funds or shares, and they don't follow the financial news either) and only get a job here to put a first experience on their CV. Turnover is high, and opportunities for advancement are nil. The best way to get a career there is to be a friend or a relative of the management/directors...

There's little or no training: in the call centre, people just read from a script. The work is 'taylorised', i.e. broken down into small chunks. You do one task, then pass the paperwork to someone else who does another task etc. This makes it easier for them to employ temps, and to have a lot of turnover, as training can be done in a couple of hours. However, as a result, the work is very repetitive and boring and you never get to see the big picture. You're just a cog in the wheel, and since anybody can learn to do your job in a couple of hours, you never feel that your work is valued, or that your job is secure.

Paperwork, cheques, share certificates go missing absolutely all the time: when I was there, there was even a 'lost and found' page on thte intranet!!!! We would get a lot of complaint cases, especially for transfers: investors would try to transfer their shares to HL, hoping to save money. The shares would go missing, or the transfer would be incorrectly processed (i.e. only half transferred, the stock ending up in a limbo; I've also seen stock credited to a different stockholder...). It would take HL months to get things sorted out, as solving complaint cases is not a priority there: the priority is to rack in as much money as possible. Transferring your stock from an account held with HL into an account with a different provider is especially difficult: HL seem to drag their feet and c*** up just to 'punisht' the investor for leaving them.

As in the headline above, working at HL is just as boring and mind-numbing as working at Asda.

Invest in those of your staff who don't see work as just a meal ticket but are enthusiastic.

Support

Former Employee - Support in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Support in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Hargreaves Lansdown full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working environment. Fun people to work with

Cons

Quite stressful with very long hours during tax year end.

There are newer employer reviews for Hargreaves Lansdown