There are newer employer reviews for Harland Clarke

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Custom Press Operator in Milton, WA
Former Employee - Custom Press Operator in Milton, WA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, good training,room for advancement

Cons

long hours during the busy season

Advice to Management

none

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Very Frustrating company to work for... but if you can not find anything else, its not a terrible transition job.

Current Employee - Plant Worker (Machine Operator) in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Plant Worker (Machine Operator) in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, given a lot of vacation time, very easy job. Also very hard to get fired unless you never show up to work (you also can get written up quite a few times before it being a real problem). If you come in, do your job, hit your numbers, don't have an opinion, and you will be fine. If you are single and dont have kids its not a bad job.

Cons

pay is not worth all you have to put up with, a majority of the people are not very smart (including management) can be very frustrating to work with. very low pay.. Work overtime A lot! They are swapping to 12 hour shifts and working every other weekend (including Sundays), this means if you are day shift you work 6:30am-6:45pm and if you are night shift you will work 6:30pm-6:45am... makes for very long days for very little pay. If you make a mistake you get written up very quickly. very very easy to get hurt on this job!! It is very hard to balance your work and life, specially if you are on night shift. I asked my supervisor one week if we will be working over the weekend or not, because I wanted to make plans with my family if we weren't I was told "dont know yet, you have no life out side these doors, this is your life".... not the greatest way to boost moral!

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees. Stop letting the very old employees run the plant! They make the younger employees who can hit their numbers very angry, and are extremely rude to them...you will soon have people over 60 working there who are too old to move and will never hit your numbers! When a situation arises call in both employees to discuss the issue, don't just assume and place blame without taking to both parties.

Clarke American=GOOD, Harland Clarke=BAD

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great fellow workers. Very intelligent and hard working. Bonus plan was never very good but has been eliminated. Health plan was okay. 401k plan was okay.

Cons

Management of this company is pretty bad in a rapidly declining industry. There is no innovation, just reaction. Way too many excellent employees have been laid off or fear to be soon. This was a nice company to work for when it was just Clarke American. Since merger with Harland, it has rapidly gone downhill.

Advice to Management

Don't be in such a mad rush to eliminate employees, especially those who are good at what they do, dedicated and hard working. The company is becoming a sweat shop.