struggling to find identity

Former Employee - Middle Management, Corporate in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Middle Management, Corporate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good culture regarding employee respect and engagement

Cons

Still struggling to find identity to replace the existing check printer mentality

Advice to Management

NA

Other Employee Reviews for Harland Clarke

1. Deceitfull Management

Current Employee - Customer Sales and Service in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Sales and Service in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

M-F. 6:30 am - 7:00 pm

Cons

Unethical practices Break labor laws for wages, time off, accruing time, leave, vacation. Management in Colorado operates on size able double standards

Advice to Management

Make management accountable for their time off. Extended lunches. Second jobs (Aerobics instructors?!?) Agents need a reason to trust management again. Too many lies. No follow through. No accountability? Supervisors aren't able to lead when in meetings all the time. No transparancy

My, Oh My - Where did the company go?

Current Employee - IT Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Awesome team to work with. Process oriented and simply the best in the industry. - Dedicated group of people who share your passion for doing the right thing and helping to make the company successful - Dynamic and complex business environment which will push you all over the place. If you have the talent to rapidly shift priorities and work in a very fast paced environment, then HC IT is the place for you. We have more technologies running in production than most governments! Come have some fun with a ton of expensive toys.

Cons

- Sr IT Mgt is clueless. They just go along with the "issue of the last 10 seconds" and simply can't plan their way out of a wet paper bad. They are ruled by emotion and the loudest screaming account manager or VP. No backbone what-so-ever. - You will get used and abused. If this is your thing, then sign right up because this company knows how to do that very well. Want to do a more experienced job for more than a year and not get the promo and pay to go along with it? Sign up here! - The company is literally dying on the vine. For the past 5 years, they have laid off 2/3 of the staff and outsourced a large segment of IT to India. Cost cutting is the only game in town. Has the company done anything to break into new markets to increase revenue from checks and related products? Ah, no. Has the company leadership bought a ton of snake oil from people thinking they had the idea to turn the company around? Ah, yes. Millions of $$ spend on crap ideas with no clear vision.

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the coffee! The company has no vision. The company has no core competency, except for bowing to our FI clients and saying "yes sir, may I have another". Checks are a dying product. Only my 60+ year old parents still write checks for God's sake. Sell off (or simply abandon) all non-profitable lines of business and actually focus on 1 or 2 things for 5+ years. 30 or more key company projects going on all at once is suicide. No organization can concentrate on that many things at once. Especially when you have cut staff to the bone and have not changed expectations. Truly become a company that "prints stuff". Paper is not going away. Your manufacturing organization is a gold mine, but you abuse them with stupid products and processes. Retail Channels is a gold mine, invest in it. Forms and statements are also gold mines, invest in them. Kill everything else. Actually get rid of something instead of asking IT to keep hanging on to systems that are old enough to vote! I'll add this one thing - I would retire with this company if the senior company management would simply pull their heads out of the sand and look at where we are going. To survive, the company must make hard decisions - and the hard decision is not to cut more staff or expenses from the budget. The company is trying to do way to much. Figure out where the company is going, make the hard decisions to get rid of products and services that make no money (or stupidly low revenue) and concentrate on something concrete that I can sell in 30 seconds to a stranger in an elevator.