Harley-Davidson

www.harley-davidson.com
There are newer employer reviews for Harley-Davidson

Nice environment with good pay & benefits but you earn every bit.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Harley-Davidson

Pros

Harley is a good place to work. There are a lot of nice people, the pay is competitive & the benefits are better than most. Being an employee of Harley-Davidson is well thought of by Milwaukee residents. Working at a large company like Harley-Davidson makes you feel somewhat secure.

Cons

Expectations to get the job done, "no matter what", are high. If your project falls behind, you are expected to work long hours to catch up. Also, when the economy goes south, as it has right now, you do have to worry about losing your job. Probably no worse than any other place, though.

Listen to your workers.

216 Other Employee Reviews for Harley-Davidson (View Most Recent)

James L Ziemer has annouced his retirement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Harley-Davidson

Pros

Riding the bikes is excellent if you get to test them. Using the engineering tools is good, but they do not allow enough time to get it done right. Cutting corners is the best way to meet the time lines and stay in good graces. Then you have to blame others to protect yourself. This is the best way to work at this company.

Cons

The office politiics are over the top, really a hard place to create new products. Because they do not really create new products, it is really impossible to innnovate and take the time to listen to teammates. The only way to blame others and lie, cheat and talk your way to the tap, which is really sad.

Allow teamwork, foster creativity and empower people

Behind the smoke and mirrors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Harley-Davidson

Pros

It is a resume builder, helps you move on to a better job in the future.

Cons

A long time ago, magazines wrote articles about this being one of the top 100 employers to work for. Well let me tell you after the 100th Anniversary, and Elton John singing to Bikers - it all changed. The company is ran in a vicious cycle. If you can survive good for you, and everyman for himself.

There were many good employees that were hurt by things management did to them. People who counted the minutes until they could retire and never look back. The danger came if you could not manage your Director or VP well. Sure there were some unique managers from Honda that needed to be building weedwhackers instead of motorcycles.

It would not be a place I would want to see my friends wind up. One guy in finance called me a while back and had been working 20 hour days to get a project out. Asked me if I could hire him to get him out of there, unfortunately I couldn't help. The sad thing is that he needed to do that to make his manager look good for the guys up top.

Did I forget to mention that bonus were once part of your salary, and they disappeared too.

Stop managing your portfolio's for retirement, work with the employees - make it a better place to work at. When you leave will the damage you were part of remain? It took 100 years to build a great company, but only 5 more to leave it wounded. The company is not only the motorcycles it sends out the doors, but the people too.

There are newer employer reviews for Harley-Davidson