Harleysville Group

www.harleysvillegroup.com
  www.harleysvillegroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Harleysville Group

Good place to work. Most years, we like a small family

Current Employee - Services Support Supervisor
Current Employee - Services Support Supervisor

I have been working at Harleysville Group

Pros

Company had great benifets, esp. the 401K program. On job training. Pleasant workplace.

Cons

We all thought the 25 yr. club was great. We were able to see old friends and talk about great experiences with the company. . It too bad the company just stopped it without telling us why.
I guess it was because the Greensboro office closed. We all miss it very much.

Since I am retired, I don't know.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Harleysville Group (View Most Recent)

Overall, good place to work

Current Employee - Accountant in Harleysville, PA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Harleysville, PA

I have been working at Harleysville Group

Pros

The payscale is fair, the 401K contributions of the company is outstanding, very generous (almost ridiculous) amount of sick time, great tuition assistance program. Excellent agency relationships.

Cons

The company will pay for your education, but doesn't tap into your knowledge when you have finished your education; raises and bonuses continue to decline; very little opportunity for growth. You may end up doing the same tasks for many, many years without a change in responsibilities. Computers are very old as are the programs on the computers.

Reward your employees for contributions to the bottom line as well as you do your agents and stockholders.

Went downhill when Nationwide Insurance bought the company

I have been working at Harleysville Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hours are 8-4:30. So work-life balance is fine. They allow work at home, which not many companies do, and it's very helpful.

Cons

Harleysville Insurance treated employees great before it was bought out by Nationwide. Morale has gone down a lot since.
    Nationwide took away our company parties, our 3 pm leave on the day before a holiday, Denim Fridays, great benefits, employee appreciation day/week. It got rid of anything that boosted employee morale. It blows me away that they thought they could do away with everything and it wouldn't have any influence on morale.
    Also, everyone sleeps with everyone. Doesn't matter if you're married, affairs happen on the regular. There's a lot of high school drama.

Bring back the things that showed appreciation to your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Harleysville Group