Harman Becker Automotive Systems

www.mybecker.com
Unclaimed Profile
There are newer employer reviews for Harman Becker Automotive Systems

I have found Harman to be an exciting, inventive place to expand my career

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems

Pros

Innovation, creativity, fun and friendly atmosphere, challenging work, growing/hiring

Cons

Like any company, growing pains can make it difficult to keep ahead of the hiring curve

Advice to Management

Solidify general operating procedures

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Company! Proper Planning can go a long way.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineering Technician in Franklin, KY
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineering Technician in Franklin, KY

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They take care of their employees, promote healthy lifestyle with monetary compensation for activity, strong and diverse customer base, excellent margins which assisted in great compensation and benefits. As a business, they are continually growing stronger and capitalizing on new markets. I would recommend anyone to seek employment with Harman, but their US Automotive facilities will take over your life. (Any technical/management role, plan on 60-80 hours/week), but they will heavily compensate you for your time.

Cons

If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. The team members at the manufacturing facility I was at, worked a great amount of overtime (1 day off a month, every 3rd Sunday). That high labor cost (accepted by upper mgmt.) wasn't the right direction for the company, and it inevitably lead to a complete global restructure (move to low cost countries). The talent and skills in those countries lead to many quality issues; US facilities had to run to their aid. The worst part of the company was the lack of sharing information. Harman didn't work in unison, instead they competed with one another. Germany would develop software and wouldn't give any information on it. (when you did get info, it was all in German). The US facilities have to figure things out on their own. Ironically, in the Harman Production System one of core columns was sharing information.

Advice to Management

Strategic planning can assist the higher cost countries in being more competitive. Our Indirect labor was always 50-60% over, and our direct labor was almost doubled at times. Staff management planned the overtime, upper management allowed us to plan for the excessive overtime. Encourage/Enforce sharing of information. At one point, we held over $6 million dollars in non-conforming inventory due to software and testing issues; Germany provided minimum aid. We had to have an inside man in the German plant to sneak and ship us male and female wiring harness connectors.

2. Satisfactory

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very kind work environment, everyone is very nice and cooperative. Working time is flexible, nobody will push you with too much pressure only if you can get your work done.

Cons

This is a test branch, nothing excited, all you have to do is test and test. Work itself doesn't require you to get deep into it, you only have to get the test results. Of course, this is the case in the low level test.

Advice to Management

Provide some kind of train or related materials to the low level test employees and have them to take advantage of the work time.