There are newer employer reviews for Harris Health System

Enjoyable experience

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Pharmacist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Harris Health System full-time

Pros

-Many opportunities for practice in the ambulatory care setting
-Very large health system

Cons

-If you are a floater pharmacist, commuting between the outpatient clinics can be very difficult. Especially in Houston traffic.

61 Other Employee Reviews for Harris Health System (View Most Recent)

unmotivated, self serving and cruel supervisors and managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Harris Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good field to work in, many locations, informative mandatory classes, diversified culture,
    employees many in Houston

Cons

too many and poor supervisors and managers
    no support for the non-managerial employees
    too much work and not enough money for non-managerial employees
    too little work and too much money for supervisors and managers

the reason most employees stay 10, 15, 20, 25 plus years is because they can't get a job anywhere else - it is not dedication!

The Perspective of a Retiree

Former Employee - Middle IT Management in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Middle IT Management in Houston, TX

I worked at Harris Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The years that I worked in the Harris County Hospital District (HCHD) IT department was very challenging and rewarding. HCHD's committment to serving the community, and the underserved therein, created the environment from which I reaped these personal rewards. Additionally, I feel that the District was a good employeer and I am thankful for the compensation and benefits received during my tenure.

Cons

As with most large corporations, the District is a microcosm of society. Their upper management ranges from excellent to less than desirable. Unfortunatelly, the IT upper management staff, in my opinion, ranks closer to the latter. Management by intimidation and fear often stymies honest dialogue and creativity. Honest disagreement with upper management often leads to open hostility and/or termination. I was personally able to accomplish most of my personal and work objectives within this environment. However, I sadly experienced the demise of many good and talented employees that found themselves on the wrong side of management or happened to be convenient sacrificial lambs.

It is recognized that many employee complaints are short of merit. However, District senior management should tune in to what is happening in their and other district environments and recognize those issues that deserve their attention . Listen to the employees, with an open mind, and facilitate open honest dialogue.

There are newer employer reviews for Harris Health System