Harris Health System

There are newer employer reviews for Harris Health System

Stay away from IT!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Harris Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location / most coworkers are easy to get along with and collaborate with / pay is average for some and slightly above average for others

Cons

No flex time / gossip / lazy employees and management / businesses processes change from week-to-week / lack of training / lack of accountability / management blames upper management and upper management blames C’s / inconsistent policies

I have worked for Harris Health since they were Harris County Hospital District and unfortunately nothing with this company has changed but the name. The IT organization is behind the times and sadly does not embrace how other IT organizations conduct business. I have heard many times that no one works unless they are forced to work which is mostly not true. If you have an employee that you cannot trust then that person should not be an employee. What matters is that you are sitting at your desk and not what you produce. Exempt employees are treated like hourly employees. There is no flex time. If someone works eighteen hours and has to take off the next day then that employee must take PTO. Additionally, if they need you to work after hours then it is okay to work from home. So when it is convenient for them then it’s all good.

As for the PTO policy, if you are out sick then that is recorded as unscheduled and unscheduled days count negatively toward your review. Your holiday hours are also all lumped into one bucket so the number of hours that you were told you get for PTO is not actually what you have. You have to keep track and make sure that you have enough PTO to cover if a holiday is coming up. I have never seen a company do this and it is lazy. Don’t bring new ideas to the table because they are not valued. Many of us have worked for big name employers and have amazing process improvements and money saving opportunities but they only defends their processes – the way they’ve always done it. Harris Health is a perfect example of the stereotypical government overspending and inefficient processes.

Management does not have a clear understanding of what the responsibilities are of the business compared to those of IT. We just have to suck it up and do work that the business should be doing plus our IT responsibilities. There is no respect for IT throughout Harris Health. We get calls on a daily basis with someone being rude and threatening. The kicker is that the business is complaining about us not performing their work and IT management rolls over like a whipped puppy.

Management gossips about and bad mouths employees within their groups and towards each other. This creates a distrustful environment between management and employees. The majority of IT upper management has been employed at Harris Health for 10+ years so one can imagine the lack of outside knowledge and fresh ideas. We have a high turnover rate in certain groups and an employee is blackballed and judged as an idiot for ‘abandoning’ Harris Health instead of looking at the factors that caused the employee to resign.

64 Other Employee Reviews for Harris Health System (View Most Recent)

Good Experience

Former Employee - Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Harris Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers and management are nice/good people.

Cons

Office politics.
    Go with the Flow Environment (I prefer a more active, go get it environment).

Hold employees more accountable, it seems that everyone can be more productive

70's IT Organization

I have been working at Harris Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, comparable pay, location

Cons

Inflexible, no working from home, lack of accountability, IT doing business work

Flex-time - if you can't trust an employee then you need to get rid of them

There are newer employer reviews for Harris Health System