Harris

There are newer employer reviews for Harris

Great to work for

Current Employee - Test Engineer Coop in Lynchburg, VA
Current Employee - Test Engineer Coop in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Harris as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good to work for and nice people. I have enjoyed my time greatly at this company as the people are great to work with and team building occurs.

Cons

Chain of command is weird. I wish people would help me on specific things as sometimes people don't respond to emails.

578 Other Employee Reviews for Harris (View Most Recent)

Enjoyed my experience at Harris

Former Employee - Software Engineer II
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II

I worked at Harris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Harris had great people and I was able to learn from them without any issues and they were open to learning from me bringing skills in not only engineering but also the military. Harris is a very Veteran friendly (35th on GI Jobs) and that is very important to me being that I was unemployed after Afghanistan for 7 months. The technology was superb and loved every day learning more and expanding upon my skills as a Software Engineer.

Cons

The Ideas page. I had several ideas that came right from my experiences in Afghanistan that after submitted never went anywhere. One did but only as far as the chief scientists but then stopped dead. After that I stopped submitting ideas.

1) Learn military 101. When you are in the defense industry and don't know the difference between a squad and brigade and you interact with military personnel. It doesn't make you look good, regardless of your position.

2) Take time to develop an APP that trains the average soldier on the usage of the AN/PRC117G and AN/PRC152. Many soldiers go with the thales products (EMBITTER) AN/PRC148 because the user interface is better. I did in Afghanistan. Does it really matter is no one is funding it. Take the initiative and put some IRAD money on it.

3) Take the time and give AN/PRC152 radios to soldier when they are in Basic Training and Officer Candidate Schools. Soldiers, and I am one, will always gravitate towards what is familiar and it's only during these times is the best time to get soldiers "USED" to those radios. The investment is worth the effort.

electronics engineer

I worked at Harris

Pros

very good company
    An engineering heaven
    Good quality engineers

Cons

competitive
    A relatively slower growth