Harris Teeter

www.harristeeter.com

In an effort to compete with low cost competitors they are overworking their employees.

Fresh Foods Clerk (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsProfit sharing checks are given out twice a year. There are also monthly associate discounts. Most of the co-workers are nice.

ConsManagement is always negative. Never recognize or appreciate those who go over and beyond what is expected. Excessive drug testing. I find it very undignified and demeaning to provide a urine sample for no specific reason. I have been tested 4 times now, it's ridiculous. If I was driving a truck or forklift maybe, but geez, I work in the deli. Employee burnout.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe biggest problem I see confronting the store is it's identity. HT has always been upscale. HT should stop trying to compete with Walmart and Trader Joes at the same time. Choose, one or the other, you can't do both. If you are in the upscale niche, then focus on that! Don't cut labor hours to the point where good customer service is impossible just so you can trim a few dollars off of a grocery order. Our customers care more about quality meats and produce AND most importantly great service. Great product and good customer service are infinitely more important than a long term VIC special or trying to advertise "super center prices". Walmart and Food Lion shoppers are price oriented. People shop HT for quality and service. Associates can't deliver the service expected when there are 3 people scheduled to do the work of 4 or 5.

Another problem HT has is how they treat their employees. I understand the importance of maintaining the customer base and providing excellent service. With that said, there are customers that have pschological issues and there are also those who know how to manipulate store policies (especially the double your money back guarantee) to get almost whatever/anything they want. When you have the same customer lodging complaints against numerous associates, why doesn't it occur to management that the customer might be unstable? The problem is this, when management continues to bend over backwards to unreasonable demands it only encourages more bad behavior and the associates are the ones having to deal face to face with these scam artists and sociopaths.

Management will write up an employee based on false accusations, even if there are witnesses that go to management in the associates defense. HT talks a great game but in fact they don't treat their employees very well. They would fire their best employee to keep their worst customer. I really enjoyed this job 2 years ago and could deal with having a difficult customer once in awhile. But, since labor hours have been so drastically cut, it is no longer very enjoyable. I am so worn out after a shift that I can barely stand, it just isn't worth it.

It was good.

Cashier (Former Employee) Wilmington, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros: The working environment positive and the salary was steady. Cons: The were times when management could be overbearing. Advice to Senior Management: Offer more opportunities for advancement. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

It was a satisfying job for a teenager.

Cashier (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter

Pros: Your hours and shifts are very flexible. Cons: Constant work place where you have to be moving. Advice to Senior Management: Recognize that cashiers do have to be working at a… More

There are newer reviews on Harris Teeter.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!