There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter

Given an opportunity to learn the marketing aspect of our business.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter

Pros

Family oriented company, strong family values.

Cons

The Corporate office needs to allow for more telecommuting opportunities.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not a good work environment for students.

Current Employee - Cashier in Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Harris Teeter is a nice store with good customer service. decent pay. two bonus checks per year. flexible hours. full-time benefits

Cons

HORRIBLE student leave program - students are able to take a 16 week leave for a 52 week year. After that, I had come home every other weekend just to keep my job for the summer and for holidays. I also couldn't get a transfer to a store closer to my school because they already had "too many" transfers from students on educational leave. However, for some reason, my checks kept getting sent to the store I tried to get a transfer for. No one ever told me that this was going to happen so for a while I went without getting paid until management finally "figured out" where they were. Then, the first week I was home for the summer, management "forgot" to put me on the schedule, therefore I was at risk of being terminated. To top it all off, approximately two weeks later, we find out that six of our stores will be closing IN TWO WEEKS, with one of them being the one I work at! We had no idea and had less than a week to let corporate know if we were going to transfer to a different harris teeter or quit. Needless to say, corporate obviously did not consider their employees when they made this drastic and sudden decision. Also, I have worked there for three years and have only gotten one 15 cent raise. I had to train my bosses before they got promoted. I have watched management stand around and chit-chat while we were so busy that we barely had time to breathe. Oh, and the only time we ever had baggers was at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Cashiers were expected to do everything - get carts from outside, clean bathrooms, do store sweeps, bag, and ring up groceries.

Advice to Management

Take some time to consider your employees! They work hard and don't get promoted or get any raises whatsoever. We never get a "good job" or "well done" even if we come in to work hours early and then continue to work and clean the store over an hour after its closed. Just a piece of advice: listen to what employees have to say because more often than not, your policies look better on paper than they actually are in reality.

2. Even you can live in someone else fantasy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you need "pocket money" it's a good place to work Let's not forget the "bonus check" twice a year.

Cons

Lack of help - not only inadequate staffing but management's unwillingness to assist in anyway. Lack of reality on part of entire management staff up to and including the C.E.O. and others sitting on their thrones in Matthews. If you have to desire to see just how long you can work under unnecessary stress, strife and harassment try it at Your Harris Teeter. The raises are an insult - Fred needs that money more than the employees

Advice to Management

Corporate staff should get into the stores and work for two weeks to find out just how ridiculous their ideas are. Store managers need to get backbones and stand up for their employees at corporate meetings. Someone should actually read these reviews... Maybe I'll be the one to send the page to good ole Fred boy.