Harris Teeter

www.harristeeter.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter

Given an opportunity to learn the marketing aspect of our business.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter

Pros

Family oriented company, strong family values.

Cons

The Corporate office needs to allow for more telecommuting opportunities.

508 Other Employee Reviews for Harris Teeter (View Most Recent)

Decent for a highschool job, but not a whole lot else

Current Employee - Frozen Dairy Clerk in Apex, NC
    Current Employee - Frozen Dairy Clerk in Apex, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter

Pros

You get bi-yearly bonus checks, even while working part time
    The hours are very flexible
    As long as you put in for vacation time somewhat early, you'll almost always get it
    Great fellow employees

Cons

Quality of management varies drastically
    Constantly shifting managers to new stores
    Nearly impossible to get a store transfer unless you constantly pester them

Don't use a condescending tone towards staff
    Stop trying to micromanage departments as soon as you arrive at the store, the employees generally know what they're doing
    The laidback managers are the ones who are treated with the greatest respect. That means that the employees will be far more willing to go above and beyond to keep you happy.

Not a good work environment for students.

Current Employee - Cashier in Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Harris Teeter is a nice store with good customer service.
    decent pay.
    two bonus checks per year.
    flexible hours.
    full-time benefits

Cons

HORRIBLE student leave program - students are able to take a 16 week leave for a 52 week year. After that, I had come home every other weekend just to keep my job for the summer and for holidays. I also couldn't get a transfer to a store closer to my school because they already had "too many" transfers from students on educational leave. However, for some reason, my checks kept getting sent to the store I tried to get a transfer for. No one ever told me that this was going to happen so for a while I went without getting paid until management finally "figured out" where they were. Then, the first week I was home for the summer, management "forgot" to put me on the schedule, therefore I was at risk of being terminated. To top it all off, approximately two weeks later, we find out that six of our stores will be closing IN TWO WEEKS, with one of them being the one I work at! We had no idea and had less than a week to let corporate know if we were going to transfer to a different harris teeter or quit. Needless to say, corporate obviously did not consider their employees when they made this drastic and sudden decision.
         Also, I have worked there for three years and have only gotten one 15 cent raise. I had to train my bosses before they got promoted. I have watched management stand around and chit-chat while we were so busy that we barely had time to breathe. Oh, and the only time we ever had baggers was at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Cashiers were expected to do everything - get carts from outside, clean bathrooms, do store sweeps, bag, and ring up groceries.

Take some time to consider your employees! They work hard and don't get promoted or get any raises whatsoever. We never get a "good job" or "well done" even if we come in to work hours early and then continue to work and clean the store over an hour after its closed. Just a piece of advice: listen to what employees have to say because more often than not, your policies look better on paper than they actually are in reality.

There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter