There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk  in  Burlington, NC
Former Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Burlington, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee bonuses twice a year. Friendly work environment. Great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Understaffed at times. Customers can be demanding at times.

Management seems to be doing a good job overall.

413 Other Employee Reviews for Harris Teeter (View Most Recent)

Horrible

Former Employee - Overnight HBC/GM Stocker  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Overnight HBC/GM Stocker in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was better than I expected it to be; paid weekly.

Cons

Lack of Management support, lazy Management with a few exceptions, cuts corners to get the job done, unrealistic expectations, management treats employees with extreme disrespect with a few exceptions, overworks employees and shows very little appreciation for their efforts, does things the easy way rather than the right way, and those who want to take the time to do things the right way are confronted on taking the time to do things the right way; reprimanded for taking policy permitted amount of breaks and lunches, managers talking poorly about other managers, management does not take the time or put in the effort to appropriately train new employees. I was let go after working there for a month. I didn't expect a gold star for showing up to help out on my days off, but I didn't appreciate being treated like crap after I got there. It left me feeling like I was giving them everything I had, and getting treated with disrespect in return for my efforts. Inconsistent expectations; one manager will tell you to do one thing while another tells you to do something else and instead of going to one another they send the employee to be the messenger and to get chewed out for a decision another manager made.

Should take the appropriate amount of time to train new employees, needs to follow policy concerning breaks and lunches, should not treat their employees with such disrespect, don't tell employees they can take their breaks and then confront them for it later; I was told that because some of the other people I was working with didn't take all of their breaks than I shouldn't take my breaks either. I've been told that some of the employees work through without taking any breaks at all, and that I should do the same even though policy states that I should take my permitted amount of breaks and lunches. My boss said that policy stated I could take my breaks and lunches, but every time I would take the amount I was allowed he would pull me aside and confront me for doing so. My following policy was held against me, and I was let go without being given a specific reason. The reasoning was very vague. Expected me to work as quickly as employees who had been working there for 2 years when I only worked there for 3 weeks; goes with the unrealistic expectations.

After 10 years it`s still o.k.

Current Employee - Meat Cutter  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

2 bonus checks a year(although rumors say it`s about over with),pay is better than other chains around, internal job placement.

Cons

High health care and more intrusive health care. Down sizing each dept.(when someone leaves they seldom hire replacements and if they do its parttime help). Company does super double and triple coupons without any additional help but complains when you can`t keep up. When you have a problem nowhere to turn except H.R. which is employed by Harris Teeter. So if youhave a problem keep it to yourself or expect retaliation. Harris teeter says there will be no retaliation but there always is.

Hire more help for the dept. needs. If you want customer service as a number one priority, take lessons from the company you are scared of which is Publix. With the coupon wars and the sales ads depts are having a hard time keeping up with production and making customer service a priority.

There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!