You are the driver of your success

Current Employee - Co-Manager  in  Manassas, VA
Current Employee - Co-Manager in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent Salary
Great promotional opportunities
Bonuses Structure

Cons

Work/Life Balance
Annual "Pony" Shows
Expectations very high with labor crunch

Other Reviews for Harris Teeter

Don't Apply

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay for an intelligent 17 year old is $9.50. This is very good, concerning most places would pay me minimum wage for doing the same work.

Cons

Management is lazy, and stressful. Managers take out stress on employees. Although this is only a grocery store, management should have some tough competition, thus enforcing that the hired manager hold an IQ of at least 80.

Stop taking out stress of your dead-end lives out on employees who actually show motivation to do work.

Still Surrounded by Food at Starvation Wages

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time for more than a year

Pros

Harris Teeter is a beautifully designed store in upscale areas of Nashville and surrounding areas. My store is located near 3 university campuses. This accounts for the majority of the store's business even though the neighborhood in the area is an older neighborhood with a lot of historic homes. The meat, seafood, and produce departments are some the best in Nashville. I can find things there that I can't find elsewhere. My coworkers are great and management is OK but I know a lot of their issues are with the demands that are made on them by corporate.

Cons

That brings me to the cons of working at Harris Teeter. To begin with wages are only slightly above minimum wage. As if that wasn't bad enough, unless one is a manager they are not allowed to work more than 28 hrs a week. Then to make matters even worse, when the universities are on Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer breaks, the hours are cut even more so that some weeks, I will have only worked 5.5 hrs and if I'm really lucky maybe 16 hrs. Another issue I have is the hiring of highschool students under 18 yrs of age. There is a statement on their own website in the career section that states "no one under 18 yrs of age" because of safety and alcohol/tobacco sales issues. To date there are at least 5-8 underage employees at my store. That means if a customer is buying alcohol and/or tobacco, someone who is of age has stop what they're doing to scan those items. Next issue: there are no baggers. when we get slammed, other department members are called to leave their posts (and yes customers) to help out at the front end. One more, I promise... the cashiers are expected to stand at the end of their lane to bring customers to their register. I don't mind except that I can't count the number of times a customer has walked right past me like I'm not even there. I don't like it when I shop in stores that expect this from their cashiers because it makes me feel rushed so therefore I don't want to do the same to my customers. I've cashiered in other places in the past and was always told "your first obligation as a cashier is the security of that cash register"

My advice to management is to work the same number of hours I'm scheduled to work and try to pay bills. If they will only allow a non management employee to work 28 hrs or less, the pay rate should be no less than $12.00/hr. When I'm looking for another job and I am and a prospective employer asks me if I'm working I tell them "yes, on paper" that's the only thing this job is good for because I sure can't even buy food on what little money I'm makeing. Thank goodness for the food pantry at my Church.

There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!