There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter

Good consistent job, but very boring in some positions

Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and decent pay, ability to move around within the company, good benefits for full-time employees

Cons

Extremely boring working at the front end of the store, unless the store is really busy, being a cashier is too boring

Advice to Management

Overall experience with management was good. Don't act better than everyone because you are in a manager position at Harris Teeter...

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Still Surrounded by Food at Starvation Wages

Current Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Harris Teeter is a beautifully designed store in upscale areas of Nashville and surrounding areas. My store is located near 3 university campuses. This accounts for the majority of the store's business even though the neighborhood in the area is an older neighborhood with a lot of historic homes. The meat, seafood, and produce departments are some the best in Nashville. I can find things there that I can't find elsewhere. My coworkers are great and management is OK but I know a lot of their issues are with the demands that are made on them by corporate.

Cons

That brings me to the cons of working at Harris Teeter. To begin with wages are only slightly above minimum wage. As if that wasn't bad enough, unless one is a manager they are not allowed to work more than 28 hrs a week. Then to make matters even worse, when the universities are on Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer breaks, the hours are cut even more so that some weeks, I will have only worked 5.5 hrs and if I'm really lucky maybe 16 hrs. Another issue I have is the hiring of highschool students under 18 yrs of age. There is a statement on their own website in the career section that states "no one under 18 yrs of age" because of safety and alcohol/tobacco sales issues. To date there are at least 5-8 underage employees at my store. That means if a customer is buying alcohol and/or tobacco, someone who is of age has stop what they're doing to scan those items. Next issue: there are no baggers. when we get slammed, other department members are called to leave their posts (and yes customers) to help out at the front end. One more, I promise... the cashiers are expected to stand at the end of their lane to bring customers to their register. I don't mind except that I can't count the number of times a customer has walked right past me like I'm not even there. I don't like it when I shop in stores that expect this from their cashiers because it makes me feel rushed so therefore I don't want to do the same to my customers. I've cashiered in other places in the past and was always told "your first obligation as a cashier is the security of that cash register"

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to work the same number of hours I'm scheduled to work and try to pay bills. If they will only allow a non management employee to work 28 hrs or less, the pay rate should be no less than $12.00/hr. When I'm looking for another job and I am and a prospective employer asks me if I'm working I tell them "yes, on paper" that's the only thing this job is good for because I sure can't even buy food on what little money I'm makeing. Thank goodness for the food pantry at my Church.

2. Meh, it was ok.

Former Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked as a college student part time to get some extra dough. Hours were pretty flexible, and management was easy to work with.

Cons

A cashier is not the most appealing job in the world, that's for sure. But overall, not too bad.