Meh, it was ok.

Former Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Cashier in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked as a college student part time to get some extra dough. Hours were pretty flexible, and management was easy to work with.

Cons

A cashier is not the most appealing job in the world, that's for sure. But overall, not too bad.

reviews filtered by

Horrible

Former Employee - Overnight HBC/GM Stocker in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Overnight HBC/GM Stocker in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was better than I expected it to be; paid weekly.

Cons

Lack of Management support, lazy Management with a few exceptions, cuts corners to get the job done, unrealistic expectations, management treats employees with extreme disrespect with a few exceptions, overworks employees and shows very little appreciation for their efforts, does things the easy way rather than the right way, and those who want to take the time to do things the right way are confronted on taking the time to do things the right way; reprimanded for taking policy permitted amount of breaks and lunches, managers talking poorly about other managers, management does not take the time or put in the effort to appropriately train new employees. I was let go after working there for a month. I didn't expect a gold star for showing up to help out on my days off, but I didn't appreciate being treated like crap after I got there. It left me feeling like I was giving them everything I had, and getting treated with disrespect in return for my efforts. Inconsistent expectations; one manager will tell you to do one thing while another tells you to do something else and instead of going to one another they send the employee to be the messenger and to get chewed out for a decision another manager made.

Advice to Management

Should take the appropriate amount of time to train new employees, needs to follow policy concerning breaks and lunches, should not treat their employees with such disrespect, don't tell employees they can take their breaks and then confront them for it later; I was told that because some of the other people I was working with didn't take all of their breaks than I shouldn't take my breaks either. I've been told that some of the employees work through without taking any breaks at all, and that I should do the same even though policy states that I should take my permitted amount of breaks and lunches. My boss said that policy stated I could take my breaks and lunches, but every time I would take the amount I was allowed he would pull me aside and confront me for doing so. My following policy was held against me, and I was let go without being given a specific reason. The reasoning was very vague. Expected me to work as quickly as employees who had been working there for 2 years when I only worked there for 3 weeks; goes with the unrealistic expectations.

Pastry Chef

Current Employee - Pastry Chef in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Pastry Chef in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter (More than a year)

Pros

Day time hours, flexible schedule, excellent benefits

Cons

Very disorganized, and low pay.

Advice to Management

Needs attention to detail with fresh food management