Played games for 2 years to avoid making me full time

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Winston-Salem, NC
Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is slightly higher than most of their competitors. Heavy emphasis on quality of work. Clean stores Company offers 401K and bi-anual profit sharing

Cons

Heavy anti-union sentiment from the upper management. Favoritism by management in certain stores I worked there for almost 6 years, before, during and after I graduated from college. After I graduated I made it very clear to the management that I wanted to be moved up to full time. For 2 years they lead me on to believe they would promote me as soon as a spot opened up. The whole time they would schedule me for around 40 hours a week until the last couple of weeks of every business quarter, when they would dramatically cut my hours in order to keep me below the 32 hour average to qualify me as a full time employee. After 2 years of this they moved the last full time employee out of the Grocery department leaving the manager and assistant manager as the only 2 full time, and hired 2 part time employees instead of moving me into a full time spot. I quit shortly after that.

Advice to Management

Fewer better paid employees are just as productive as a bunch of underpaid employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Harris Teeter

1. Fair pay, tough work

Current Employee - Assistant Fresh Foods Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Fresh Foods Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, good corporate structure. They are slightly upscale, leading to a great customer base.I think the quality and diversity of goods, especially in produce, is worth a few extra dollars at checkout.

Cons

You work constantly and are given a huge amount of tasks to accomplish during your shift. At weeks end if you end up in overtime, you can be written up. The frenetic pace that you must work does not lead to great customer service.

Advice to Management

Allow a little flexibility in the work schedule. Harris Teeter holds themselves to a very high standard in quality, customer service and cleanliness, but they keep their work schedule so tight that it feels impossible to complete your numerous tasks everyday

2. Ok job

Current Employee - Dairy Clerk in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Dairy Clerk in High Point, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good job if you are a student. they will work with you on your schedule. You can get health insurance if you are part time.

Cons

low pay, not many hours for part time, hard to go full time