There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter

Its a good place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Norfolk, VA
Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall a good place to work especially for high school and college students. They offer great benefits for part-time and full-time, profit sharing checks twice a year for all employees, flexible work schedules, and competitive pay. Overall comfortable work environment. Great management opportunities if transferring from another company.

Cons

Store managment can be messy and slightly unorganized, sometimes they make you feel like your easily replaceable so they don't care. If you are full-time you are expected to have full availability 6am to 12am 7 days a week. They seem to value recruits from other companies more than current employees trying to move up.

Become a little more organized at store level.

437 Other Employee Reviews for Harris Teeter (View Most Recent)

I feel as if I work for a bunch of nobodies

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus, pay and vacation and benefits.

Cons

Management just sucks! Write ups for stupid things! I feels as if I am not part of the team. My review was a joke and my manager is a joke

Stop making people feel awful about themselves. GO TO SCHOOL AND LEARN!

Disorganized and unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at HT part time while attending college. The salary is somewhat competitive (for a low-skill job), considering i got the Deli position with little to no food service experience.
    Pros:
    Two profit sharing checks.
    You meet interesting people you get to befriend.
    You gain valuable lessons in coping in a nonfunctional working environment.
    You are taught to placate to customers' every need. (ass kissing)
    Lastly, i became more empathetic to people working behind a counter. (A smile and thank you go a long way)

Cons

The disorganization was appalling in the store i worked in. While working in the Deli department, i numerously had customers informing me of special sales or services none of my managers informed me of. One day we may have a sale of coleslaw, but no one thought of prestocking containers the day before. The next day we have a sale on ribs, again, passing the burden onto the next shift to package and stock containers during a busy shift. Next day cookies,....

You know the age old saying, "stick to one task until completion"? This job is the complete opposite. One minute you are packaging containers of ribs (which is messy),but you are interrupted and have to attend to customers who are counting the seconds it takes you to serve them. Next, you return to the ribs only to get sidetracked AGAIN by another duty. Come on HT, this method of service is disgraceful. The food we are packaging sits in the 40F to 140F danger zone because we are short staffed and ALWAYS have to attend to the customer. The 10 second customer service rule is impractical, when you staff less than 2 people on the counter.

Which brings me to my last qualm about HT. The store managers could care less about you. They frequently walk into our department and complain that something is not done, when they can visually see us short handed, catering to the customers. Stop complaining and give us a hand. Most of the HT policies are redundant, and the way the managers enforce them are patronizing. Your employees should be treated with a little respect.

Communicate more efficiently with managers and associates. Staff more people in departments when it is a busy day (M,F,Sa,Su, All holidays).
    Managers should treat associates with respect. Stop complaining and find solutions.

There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter