Harris Teeter

www.harristeeter.com
  www.harristeeter.com
There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter

Polluted work atmosphere

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bonus is good and that's about it.

Cons

The workplace of the Information Systems is very bad. Filled with politics and people who just don't want the good to rise up the ladder. Some even make it hard on associates who are undoubtedly good at what they do. The IS staff turnover is appalling. Could/Would Kroger come in and change things?

464 Other Employee Reviews for Harris Teeter (View Most Recent)

nice place to work if you have low standards

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

friendly environment, lateral movement in the company is fairly easy

Cons

low chance at full time jobs, upward movement on the corporate ladder is a very slow and arduous process

make sure your associates are treated like people. you are making progress towards being like wal-mart and that's not a good thing

The people have all been friendly, but the store I am working in, and possibly the company are very disorganized.

Current Employee - Cashier in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cary, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The schedule is very flexible. The managers definitely work with you to make sure you are working the shifts you want.

Cons

The training is virtually non-existent. After I had finished my training, I still had no idea what the company benefits were and if I qualified for any, how to find my scheduled shift, how to sign on to the employee web page for access to schedules and personal information. I also learned that my sign-on information had been entered incorrectly by whoever (I'm assuming in HR) set it up. So even if I had sign-on information I was unable to use it.

Stress the necessity of personal training to department managers, rather than relying exclusively on the computer module for new employee training. This is more important for employee morale and feeling connected to the company than the practical aspects of training. A cash register is not difficult to figure out, but feeling like you're a stranger working in an organization, without the opportunity to connect to your co-workers doesn't provide the connectedness that makes employees proud of their company and consequently connects well with the customers as part of that "family." Using the bonus checks as a carrot will only be effective for improving work ethic and customer service with some personality types. Be familiar with the different MBTI types and what makes people want to do good work.

There are newer employer reviews for Harris Teeter