Wonderful

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Harris Teeter has a lot of potential for growth. They really care about their associates and really make them feel appreciated. The pay and benefits are very fair as well.

Cons

The grocery business can be very stressful because of the inevitable unpredictability of the industry.

Advice to Management

I think they need to look into the current hiring practices. I really enjoy working for Harris Teeter and feel that I'm a good fit. However, I feel like they don't always hire the right people. I believe that it is very important to really focus on hiring personable associates who truly enjoy working with others. I feel like a lot of the individuals that get hired into entry level positions are not fit for Harris Teeter. Those people turn out to be rude and antisocial. They make customers and other associates uncomfortable and ultimately affect the morale of the stores they are working in. Whats worse, is that they often end up being promoted into management positions. I think that it is important to be selective when accepting associates into management training because not everyone is fit to lead. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the most wonderful managers who have helped me grow as an associate and as an individual. Unfortunately, I have also worked with managers who did the opposite. The latter are the ones who have the power to not only push away good employees, but ultimately the customers too. I have been with the company for a long time and it is a huge part of my life. It is very disappointing when customers tell me they avoid certain stores because of the management and rude associates. Harris Teeter prides itself on great customer service so we need to hire individuals who value that.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good place for promotion, if you work hard.

Current Employee - Fresh Foods Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Fresh Foods Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Promote from in-store as well as out. Profit sharing bonus twice a year. High training standards. Customer service is number one priority. Management does, on the whole, provide good back-up.Pay scale is very good.

Cons

Hours are cut drastically in slower months. Lots of "paperwork" to attend to hourly, daily and weekly. Inventory every month is very time consuming.Get any promise of raises in writing..I was offered $3 and hour more for stepping up from assistant to department manager, and got $1 !

2. Great training.

Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Harris Teeter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High starting salary and intensive training program.

Cons

Store management cuts corners and requires that employees ignore training and policy and procedures book to meet its numbers.