Harrison School District 2
www.harrison.k12.co.us Colorado Springs, CO 150 to 499 Employees

Possibly one of the worst career moves ever

Teacher (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Harrison School District 2 full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe kids are overall pretty great. Some great colleagues in other teachers, who are also desperately trying to do their best in an incredibly oppressive environment.

ConsAdministration fails to understand that a school is not a business--a failure of the reform movement in general ( this district is also greatly influenced by ideas coming from TFA). Data needs to be tracked EVERYWHERE---on walls, in individual student folders, in binders, on department posters...for assessment after assessment. The amount of redundancy, soul crushing documentation, and loss of instructional time as well as teacher overtime devoted to these processes is mind blowing. Then there's posting of plans on two written formats, chalkboards, shared drives, walls, power points, AND chalkboards. Standardized plans where you MUST be teaching the exact same plan as your colleagues on the same day, so little to no teacher autonomy, despite constant yammering about "leadership". If you are an experienced teacher or teach because you actually find some joy in teaching, my best advice is avoid, avoid, avoid.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you have some modicum of respect for their professional judgement, not like they're some sort of teaching widgets. Solicit feedback on evaluations. Recognize that you are not infallible. Fostering an environment of intimidation is counterproductive over the long term.

HSD2 became the most miserable place I've ever worked.

High School Math Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Harrison School District 2

Pros: Working with at-risk youth Great Hispanic population Cons: Superintendent believes there is only one way to teach Vindictive administration Favoritism No… Advice to Senior Management: Teaching is a career, not a job, so people are looking to do it long-term. F. Mike believes one should teach for a maximum of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Teaching is hard

Math Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Harrison School District 2

Pros: It's close to where I used to live. I saved a lot of money on gas specially given the fact that I used to… Cons: Teaching is hard. The school district is located in the depressed area of Colorado Springs. As I said at times public education is… Advice to Senior Management: You've got a tough job ahead of you. Keep… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Harrison School District 2.

Worked for Harrison School District 2? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harrison School District 2 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harrison School District 2 CEO F Mike Miles. All reviews posted anonymously by Harrison School District 2 employees.