There are newer employer reviews for Hart InterCivic

Great Opportunity for contract work during elections!

Former Contractor - Trainer in Austin, TX
Former Contractor - Trainer in Austin, TX

I worked at Hart InterCivic as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Hart. The voting machines & software are great products. I also loved the friendly atmosphere and the "Hart-Rock Cafe" on Fridays.

Cons

It was only a contract job so there was no room for advancement, but it was a great place to do contract training.

Other Employee Reviews for Hart InterCivic

1. Great people, fantastic culture, nice perks, but don't expect to see your family much

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Hart InterCivic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hardware, latest development tools, fantastic culture, including Friday afternoon Hart-Rock Cafe sessions where you can unwind with a cold one and get caught up on the latest company news. Casual attire. Decent benefits. Company will occasionally do fun events like having a food truck in, or a theme week. Free beverages and snacks.

Cons

The biggest drawback to working at Hart, especially if you are in Engineering, is that the work/life balance is, quite frankly, awful. Expect to work many weekends, as the company has a habit of overselling its products. Don't get me wrong, the current generation product is an excellent one, but it is very ambitious. And due to certification dates, the deadlines can NOT be moved. They pay very well, but when you're working 60 hours a week, you're working for pretty cheap. Also, working from home, while possible due to the hardware you have to work with, is generally frowned upon, unless absolutely necessary (like: ice storm in what little winter we get here in Texas). In this day and age, telecommuting a couple of days a week should be acceptable.

Advice to Management

If anything, your sales department is a little TOO good. :-)

2. Good management who value employees

Pros

True team, can-do attitude Friendly staff

Cons

Mostly contract work (60-80%) No true use of any SDLC in software

Advice to Management

Create more permanent opportunities to leverage knowledge retention Implement an SDLC