Harvard University
www.harvard.edu Cambridge, MA 5000+ Employees

Worthy of a Harvard Business School Case Study

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA

ProsLooks great on your resume! People very nice...initially.

ConsManagement disorganized. Data silos. Customers inaccessible. Little direction, if any, from lower level management. Very long time frames for any decision, including project timelines.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to eliminate the politics, especially among the IT staff. It's not a contest...it's a team. I've worked in multiple Harvard schools/departments, and have the same advice for each.

Great place to work, but very ossified hierarchy"

Bibliographic Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Harvard University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: I worked in Technical Services for the Library System (buying books, essentially): Wonderful lifestyle, great place to be, nice benefits. I'm happy… Cons: The pay was low. Granted I was working in a Humanties field within academia, but a lot… Advice to Senior Management: Nurture talent better. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Decentralized Bureaucratic Nightmare

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for less than a year

Pros: There are some brilliant people around, who can be very inspiring. The university also has one of the best library systems in the world, which… Cons: For every brilliant academic at the university, there are 10 arrogant ones who blatantly disrespect each other and the staff. Nothing works… Advice to Senior Management: Centralize decision making and reduce redundant positions. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Harvard University.

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harvard University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harvard University CEO Drew Gilpin Faust. All reviews posted anonymously by Harvard University employees.