There are newer employer reviews for Harvard University

A rich and varied place to work, if life hadn't taken me elsewhere I would still be working here.

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Assistant Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are excellent, from health care choices to the access to the amazing intellectual and cultural resources. Coworkers tend to be brilliant, often underemployed, and the standards are very high. Work/life balance is a priority in most units.

Cons

At an organization that has been around for almost 400 years, inertia can be a problem. It often feels like great ideas take ages to be implemented. The decentralized nature of the place makes it hard to get things done.

reviews filtered by
  1. Very stressful, but very much worth it if that's what you want in life

Current Employee - Research Fellow in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Research Fellow in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good connection in the academic world, higher salary than same position in other universities (as far as I know), flexible vacation time

Cons

Stressful - unless you are super good at managing your time and are a genius, you will need to work on weekends and evenings, sometimes also holidays and vacations.

work life balance of the employee can be quite important in terms of retaining them

2. Greed, incompetence, and socially dysfunctional describe the management at Media Technology Service

Former Employee - Harvard Media Technology Services, Audio and Visual Technician in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of down time! If you like being able to do what ever you want while getting paid then this is the job for you! 80% of the time you are there you get to do what ever you want on your email. Free rental a lot of audio and video equipment. BEWARE this is all completely over weighed by the cons.

Cons

Not only is the management the most socially awkward and mean spirited people i have ever had the misfortune of working with, but these people love to treat their part time employees like mindless workers instead of human beings. I am not the only employee with this experience.
    While working here I was lied to about hours. I had multiple emails confirming my hours and schedules, but when the semester rolled around the management decided to give 75% of my hours to unpaid interns. Keep in mind I have a graduates degree! Also, take into consideration that I am not the only person this was done to. I found out later on, that the only reason they gave my hours to unpaid interns was so that the management could receive bonuses for rolling back expenses. This made my life very stressful for about a month while I found another job to fill these hours, considering I was relying on these hours.
    I was also treated very unfairly for multiple jobs that were never explained to me. Something that in a normal work environment would be treated as a learning experience. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Start treating employees like people, instead of objects you can stab in the back.

There are newer employer reviews for Harvard University