There are newer employer reviews for Harvard University

I have a great English supercomputing boss.

Current Employee - Research Computing Specialist  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Research Computing Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have a rugged looking Englishman as a boss. He laughs a lot and uses strange slang from something called 'Blighty'. Adds a great atmosphere around the computing lab.
He lets me toy around with a lot of hardware putting it in racks. The lights blink a lot and that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Cons

I believe I've been told I've been going pear-shaped. I thought this was an insult on my hips but I think it has something to do with his slang terms.
Even though he laughs a lot he looks like firemarshall Bill from In Living Color when he does that.

The UPS system makes funny sounds and sometimes smells like battery acid.

I think you should consider cloud computing approaches or maybe something with hadoop.

486 Other Employee Reviews for Harvard University (View Most Recent)

A valuable experience where I was able to pick up job training.

Former Employee - Staff Assistant  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very professional attitudes when in the work place. I felt as if my performance was noted. If I had stayed on, I feel as if I could have easily transitioned to more roles.

Cons

Payroll was not properly integrated, and it took weeks for changes to be made. Luckily I had other sources of income.

Intellectually stimulating environment with many layers of bureaucracy

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Harvard University full-time

Pros

Harvard provides incredible benefits. A Harvard employee can take a class at Harvard Extension School for only $40! Harvard also has a variety of unions, including HUCTW, that work relentlessly to make sure that staff are treated fairly. Employees have access to limitless libraries and incredible speaking engagements.

Cons

Personal growth is limited, internal candidates are not valued. Employee retention is not their strong point, and many staff are stretched incredibly thin. Layers of bureaucracy and out-dated processes can make simple procedures daunting.

Improve employee retention by providing more management development trainings.

There are newer employer reviews for Harvard University

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!