There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment

Like the Devil drawing a line in the sand and asking you to step over it.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Albuquerque, NM
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Employee discount
Great Co-workers
Cool products
Rental Membership

Cons

Poor communication
Too many hours (48+ a week)
Lack of corporate accountability
Lack of corporate leadership
Lack of district leadership
Dark Ages leadership mentality
Unrealistic goals
No positive feedback
Excessive favoritism

Put more attention in your employees. Take the time to notice what they do and what they contribute. And take your head out of your wallet and realize that with continued "Wage Freezes" you are going to lose great people. With the poor leadership in your local districts and with your distric leaders conflicting information and zero accountability, you are going to continue to lose great associates. Great job, promoting and parading idiots.
It would be very helpful to your company, when, during a corporate visit, your executives actually speak to the associates and stop walking around with scowls on their face. It would also improve moral greatly if you acknowledged the contributions the store staff made, instead of merely pointing our what they are "NOT DOING". Its quite tragic, when you assess the level of accountability on the corporate scale. You are always asking more from the store, but never giving anything more than a passable attitude to it all. Take care of your people, or you'll have none left.

236 Other Employee Reviews for Hastings Entertainment (View Most Recent)

Sound And Fury, signifying Nothing

Former Employee - Book Manager in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Book Manager in Bryan, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

-Generally Hardworking, decent coworkers
    -Decent Insurance/401k
    -Interesting Product line
    -Good Coffee in HBCs
    -fair and flexible with scheduling (kinda have to be, stores get no hours)

Cons

-Poor staffing due to incredibly tight Labor Cost formula
    -Divisive desires;Expectations of 'excellent customer service' AND '100% on-time completion of all Tasks' with minimal staff
    - Most upper Management (i.e., Above DMs) Condescending and rude, unresponsive even hostile to questions or suggestions, seem to be, despite regular store visits, out of touch with the realities store level. Worse, they seem not to care.

Read the commentary in these postings, they will show you the way...
    Do more than pay lip service to employee satisfaction. Happy workers, who know their Ideas and Ideals, their work and well-being are truly respected and valued makes for a better company
    --the pay freeze has gone on too long, while Execs continue to get their bonuses

Less than positive.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Excellent discount's,employees I work with are excellent...including our manager and associate managers...I am given time off when needed and have a very flexible schedule when I need it.

Cons

My "problem" is not w/the folks I work with or my manager...it"s with the upper level corporate management in Texas! They have a "Dark Ages"management style...the workers are never given raises while the CEO Marmaduke receives huge annual bonus's (this year was 40% higher than last year) and yet there is a wage freeze in place! His VP's and other high level managers are well taken care of while the workers get crumb's...the system is not in anyway concerned w/the employee's...after almost 5 years I have yet to see a raise or COLA! When spring/summer shows up hours are slashed and hard working associates are cut back on hours and benefits as well...I work w/folks who have over 7 years of time w/the company as dept. managers who get 9.50 or less per hour and get their hours cut...Hasting Ent. has little regard for the day in day out associates!

Value your employees and let go of some of your greedy way of thinking...you loose excellent employees every day due to your backward way of running this company!

There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment