There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment

Please don't do it

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Albuquerque, NM
Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

I have made some really good friends with the people I work with...or used to work with rather, most of them have left for better jobs. The regulars that we get in the store help us keep our sanity, they help us more than they probably know.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care about anything except making sure the numbers look good. If sales are low, its obviously us, the lowly associate, who is at fault. Hours are next to impossible to get if you need this job to survive on. There is little to no room for advancing within the company.

Advice to Management

My advice for management, respect and acknowledge the work that we, the grunts of the company, do. I have worked with the company for 3 years, seen many associates come and go. A pay freeze doesn't help us at all. Threats of being fired doesn't raise our moral. Getting to see you, Mr. Marmaduke fly around on a private jet while we worry about getting enough gas in our cars doesn't help. We work hard for you, we are how you stay in business. Its called respecting your associates.

reviews filtered by

Upper management doesn't have a clue how to run a successful company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Regular guests
    Fellow workers
    Discount on used product

Cons

Incompetent management
    Raises only through promotion
    Demotion/termination through questionable methods

Advice to Management

Start listening to the wage slaves in the field about the issues that the company has. Start treating your associates like you really appreciate them and what they do, and quit blaming them for all your failures in leadership. Start cutting at the top, not the bottom. Company issues have little to do with the basic store associate, they have lots to do with the incompetent people who populate jobs from DM up. Go back to basics like Best Service in Town.

Ok at first, but after the novelty wore off, not so much.

Former Employee - Guest Service Manager in Jonesboro, AR
    Former Employee - Guest Service Manager in Jonesboro, AR

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

-Very friendly coworkers
    -Decent discount
    -Easy to get an initial promotion
    -Extremely simple work

Cons

-Trained to treat customers as distractions
    -Hourly pay not what it should be for Key Holder/Shift Manager
    -Despite simple work, far too many tasks are assigned at once
    -Lots of training modules to make well informed workers, except time is never given to take them. (management won't pay you to take them, and you can't access them off the clock)
    -Very little sense of a job well done at the end of a shift.

Advice to Management

Many (if not all) of the problems with the store I worked at could have been solved by making use of the training modules provided by corporate and having more people in store at once to help customers and prevent shrink.

There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment