Draining

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Great discount, overall store environment was fun, ability to interact with customers and get to know them, great store associates who worked hard.

Cons

Way too many "new hires" brought in from outside the company to be upper-management who don't understand how things work on the store level. Corporate office is so far removed that they set unrealistic expectations without knowing the day to challenges that the stores face. Using a computer program to tell stores where to schedule employees instead of making sure the departments are covered which in turn make sure that customers are able to be helped and projects are able to completed.

Advice to Management

During your "back to the field" days, actually visit the stores that are struggling instead of going to your top stores and do that store manages job for a day. Stop trying to fit 140 stores into a cookie cutter mold when only about 10% of them can actually fit it.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A constant struggle for hours.

Current Employee - Book Associate
    Current Employee - Book Associate

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Good Discount, especially on books My Book's Manager Location Regular Customers Product Some Co-Workers Flexible hours for college students Laid back atmosphere

Cons

Horrible Hours: I was hired on before seasonal help and now I am being told that work goes to seniority, especially since I was hired as seasonal help. But I was hired as a Book Associate. Never once have I heard that it is a seniority driven work atmosphere on who gets hours. It is RIDICULOUS. Never off when scheduled Gossip Mongrels: I cannot tell you how immature some of the people are working there. People talk about each other. It is sometimes as bad as high school and they are grown adults, some with children. Rude GSM that does not even LIKE to act like a professional. Plus, a CSM that lets the power go straight to his head. Double Standards: One person does one thing, another does it and they get in trouble.

Advice to Management

Give your Senior Management enough hours for the size of the store! How are you supposed to make money with a store if the store doesn't have enough people running it? Getting told that since I haven't worked there as long as others, their seniority gets whatever hours are available is ridiculous. I haven't worked in two weeks and I'm being told that they'll "try" to schedule me in. If you're going to cut my work hours to get me to quit because you want me gone, then fire me so I can still support myself with unemployment!

2. First good then the decline

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Store staff and product and friendships made along the way...

Cons

Was working more than the required 44 hours per week and getting paid for 40. No time or concern from the 5 District managers in 3 years for health or family issues. No way to reward loyal employees for their work. Payroll cuts with more work for less hours making store staffed stressed and moral decreases. With todays economy its hard to have employees go to a job they hate because they have families to support.

Advice to Management

Cut the wage freeze, help those that work for you and support you HELP YOU! Just a thank you and your doing a good job goes along way! Stop all the paperwork and let managers manage.