Hastings Entertainment

www.gohastings.com

Only the strong survive here

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Batesville, AR
Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Batesville, AR

Pros

-Employees are generally easy-going and pleasant
-Working can be fun at times
-Great Store Manager
- Flexible schedule, great for school
- We get great discounts on some stuff
- One can move up in Hastings, if they are willing to become a store manager. Otherwise, you have to wait until a department manager quits. I don't know about other stores, but our dept. managers have been there for 5+ years.
-Store are located in several different states so relocation is an option, but you are not guaranteed the position or rank from the original store.
- The work is not hard, but it is time consuming. You have to manage stocking, shifting, assignments, and customers, which is tiring.

Cons

-Low store labor hours
- Under staffed
- New employees are horrible, which almost makes hiring not worth it.
-Some of the employees are lazy, which makes the storage of hours worse.
- Most customers are terrible. This may just be the area's location, though.
- Known thieves are allowed in the store
-Upper management micro-manages, can be demeaning, and does not always make good decisions.
- The store is over stocked with crap that doesn't sell (nasty energy drinks, squirrel underwear, etc.). We still have stuff that has been sitting on the shelf for over a year, and we get sent more.
- The salary does not compensate for the effort I put into my work and the customers. The only reason I still work here is because of my coworkers.
-The amount of hours you get can be erratic. Since starting, I have gotten between 3 and 35 hours a week. It depends on the time of year and if there are new hires.

Promote people who work in the stores, and know how things work. Promote and give raises to employees. The good employees leave because the cons outweigh the pros, and they are not compensated for it.

Other reviews for Hastings Entertainment

Destined to fail

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Conroe, TX

Pros

Good discount comes in handy during the holidays...that's about it.

Cons

- Corporate placed no value on length of service. Would sooner hire someone from outside the company prior to promoting someone with 20 years Hastings experience. While new blood can be a good thing, this tends to create scenarios of "I remember when we did that x years ago and it didn't work then either". It's a ready, fire, aim mentality that DOESN'T work.

- Wages - I was routinely embarrassed to tell potential new hires what their stating wages would be. Made it impossible to incentivize job performance when there were no promises that you could make monetarily. Average raise was 2.5% which is fairly standard except that numerous VP''s, etc. were getting 20-40% raises during a "wage freeze".

- Condescending and belittling attitude of corporate "management" - If a new program failed it was never the program, rather the inability of the street level employee to execute the program correctly.

- Hourly associates' hours - no one can survive on 15 hours a week - what this did was make it improbable and extremely difficult to hire anything but first time teen employees. Let's be honest, the youth of today doesn't have the strongest work ethic as a whole...and when you find the stars but can only schedule them 20 hours a week (in 5.5 hour blocks so as not to have to give them lunch breaks) they tend to go away fairly quickly.

- Open-communication policy was a farce - Sure, you could openly communicate with the president and CEO, but heaven forbid you disagree with his methodology. Doing so marked you not as an outside the box thinker or an advocate for your team, but rather a malcontent to be dealt with as swiftly as possible. This didn't apply only to the stores, but everyone under the rank of VP. I saw many a veteran District Manager canned for standing up for the little people that made up the backbone of the company.

If you're not in it to succeed, go away. If you are in it to succeed, pay attention to those that have a hand in the day-to-day operations. A 3 week trial of a program in a store in Amarillo, TX, 3 miles from the corporate office could quite possibly be the worst measure of success you could possibly find, especially a midst the attitude of fear of job loss you bring with you.

Take a note from successful companies like Starbucks. Happy employees = higher revenues. You have to spend money to make money and all those other cliches.

Underpaid, and unfairly run.

Former Employee - Lifestyles/Music Department Manager  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Lifestyles/Music Department Manager in Norman, OK

Pros

The discount on used products is pretty nice, and depending on the day and the management work can be enjoyable, with the ability to choose music and videos.

Cons

The management is pretty poor and the pay scale is not helpful. It is very difficult to get a promotion and the raise that comes with it is quite low. The other department mangers are easy to work along side but upper management seems to not understand how to run a retail store. Buying items that wont well and overstocking the floor. The CEO seems very out of the loop as during Christmas when employees were working and the store manager working upwards of 60 hours a week we get a postcard from him of a picture of him and his family in Aspen.

Upper management needs to work more in the actual store to understand how their changes are being implemented.

There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment.

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!