Hastings Entertainment

www.gohastings.com

Destined to fail

Store Manager (Former Employee) Conroe, TX

ProsGood discount comes in handy during the holidays...that's about it.

Cons- Corporate placed no value on length of service. Would sooner hire someone from outside the company prior to promoting someone with 20 years Hastings experience. While new blood can be a good thing, this tends to create scenarios of "I remember when we did that x years ago and it didn't work then either". It's a ready, fire, aim mentality that DOESN'T work.

- Wages - I was routinely embarrassed to tell potential new hires what their stating wages would be. Made it impossible to incentivize job performance when there were no promises that you could make monetarily. Average raise was 2.5% which is fairly standard except that numerous VP''s, etc. were getting 20-40% raises during a "wage freeze".

- Condescending and belittling attitude of corporate "management" - If a new program failed it was never the program, rather the inability of the street level employee to execute the program correctly.

- Hourly associates' hours - no one can survive on 15 hours a week - what this did was make it improbable and extremely difficult to hire anything but first time teen employees. Let's be honest, the youth of today doesn't have the strongest work ethic as a whole...and when you find the stars but can only schedule them 20 hours a week (in 5.5 hour blocks so as not to have to give them lunch breaks) they tend to go away fairly quickly.

- Open-communication policy was a farce - Sure, you could openly communicate with the president and CEO, but heaven forbid you disagree with his methodology. Doing so marked you not as an outside the box thinker or an advocate for your team, but rather a malcontent to be dealt with as swiftly as possible. This didn't apply only to the stores, but everyone under the rank of VP. I saw many a veteran District Manager canned for standing up for the little people that made up the backbone of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're not in it to succeed, go away. If you are in it to succeed, pay attention to those that have a hand in the day-to-day operations. A 3 week trial of a program in a store in Amarillo, TX, 3 miles from the corporate office could quite possibly be the worst measure of success you could possibly find, especially a midst the attitude of fear of job loss you bring with you.

Take a note from successful companies like Starbucks. Happy employees = higher revenues. You have to spend money to make money and all those other cliches.

Underpaid, and unfairly run.

Lifestyles/Music Department Manager (Former Employee) Norman, OK

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The discount on used products is pretty nice, and depending on the day and… Cons: The management is pretty poor and the pay scale is not helpful. It is very difficult to get a promotion and the raise that… Advice to Senior Management: Upper management needs to work more in the actual store… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Fun place to work, hard place to pay your bills via

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Moscow, ID

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Hastings has a fun environment, a decent discount and will almost certainly have -something- in… Cons: The pay was subpar and the store is run almost exclusively on part-time labor. The only people who… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Hastings Entertainment.

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!