Hastings Entertainment

Corporate employee

Current Employee - Programmer in Amarillo, TX
Current Employee - Programmer in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Hastings is a great place to work in IT. You will get to know pretty much all aspects of the Hastings business within your first year. You will never get bored by staying on the same team all of the time.

Cons

Upper management undervalues the importance of IT and seems to place the most emphasis on the product teams. Thinks that IT is overpriced.

IT is not to be taken lightly. The entertainment market is going to start shifting away from brick and mortor and over to delivered content over the internet. Good IT will carry you to the future.

240 Other Employee Reviews for Hastings Entertainment (View Most Recent)

Hmmm.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Good employees, but i may have been blessed.
    Honestly, I had a great team that took care of everything for me. I was your average SM though. I'd do my paperwork on mondays. That is, unless I didn't. Sometimes I'd go for a stroll.

There were times when the details weren't ironed out just right. An e-mail missed here, an e-mail there. There were problems that would go on for months at a time. These problems did little for my mood. At first, I'd just stew a bit. Then it would occur to me that I had nothing to do with the problem. Guilty of neglect? Poppycock. I was, after all, putting in 2000...sometimes...3000 hour shifts. Being that the details were... not my fault. They did what they could, but sacrifices had to be made. I feel I was the driving force. The hammer. They were the nails. My nails.

And I would hammer. Corporate visits, be they LP or a simple DM affair, would rarely go my way. But I am the force. Look at these numbers I would say. Why are they doing this to me. They are slacking. My team. This...this while I do my 3000 hour shifts. Fatal error? Nonsense. The fatal error was theirs.

LBWA works if you do it correctly. If you have the respect of your department managers everything will fall into place. That is, if the department managers are naturally hard working people with the intellect and perserverence to handle this oftentimes very difficult company. As I mentioned earlier, I was blessed with a wonderful team. If you do not garner the respect from such a group then you can only blame yourself. Lead by walking around, but do lead. And do walk around. And be present. 44 hours.

Cons

I covered some of them above. Corporate comes across as an uncaring beast.

I think this is true of most corporations however.

Wage freeze is also unfortunate.

See first paragraph please :)

Do your job. If you don't do your job, do not cry about the consequences.

Ugh

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

-Fairly large employee discount on books (~40%)
    -You learn customer service
    -Somewhat less strict dress code than my previous jobs.

Cons

-Corporate asks impossible things from their employees.
    -Employees are treated unfairly.
    -Employees are not paid enough for what they are asked to do.
    -Really bad employee discount.
    -The customers become angry because of rules set by corporate and take it out on the employees.
    -Very old/frustrating computer system.
    -Open from 9AM-11AM everyday of the year aside from Xmas. Employees are not paid time and half on holidays.
    -Breaks are hardly ever given at my store because there is so much work to do.
    -No pay raises or advancements.
    -Hastings only cares about making as much money as possible. Their employees are their last concern.
    -Open until 11PM daily and employees have to stay until midnight.

Update your computer systems. They are the main cause for slow line complaints, if you push a wrong button it can take several minutes to get back to ringing the customer up.

Pay time and half on holidays, or close early on holidays.

Stop asking employees to do impossible things.
    ex:
    -Closing is chaotic and we are never able to finish everything we are asked of in 30 to 45 min.
    -Close an hour earlier. Staying open until 11PM during the week is absolutely ridiculous.
    -Stop having employee ask customers a million questions. The customer wants to come in, buy what they came for and leave.. not be harassed.
    -Stop punishing employees for having register times over 35 seconds. That's impossible for every transaction.

Give employees raises!

Rotate employees to different departments. I dislike working the same department everyday.. especially since CSA is the hardest job.

There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment