There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment

Corporate employee

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Amarillo, TX
Current Employee - Programmer in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Hastings is a great place to work in IT. You will get to know pretty much all aspects of the Hastings business within your first year. You will never get bored by staying on the same team all of the time.

Cons

Upper management undervalues the importance of IT and seems to place the most emphasis on the product teams. Thinks that IT is overpriced.

IT is not to be taken lightly. The entertainment market is going to start shifting away from brick and mortor and over to delivered content over the internet. Good IT will carry you to the future.

232 Other Employee Reviews for Hastings Entertainment (View Most Recent)

Person without a title

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Angelo, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Its a good college job.
    It use to be really fun to work there
    the discount use to be great

Cons

You never know what they will throw at you next
    They quit giving rasies, but they are still hireing new people

Get the act together.
    Focus more on the employees who do the job right
    Please do not act like you care when you dont

Hmmm.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Good employees, but i may have been blessed.
    Honestly, I had a great team that took care of everything for me. I was your average SM though. I'd do my paperwork on mondays. That is, unless I didn't. Sometimes I'd go for a stroll.

There were times when the details weren't ironed out just right. An e-mail missed here, an e-mail there. There were problems that would go on for months at a time. These problems did little for my mood. At first, I'd just stew a bit. Then it would occur to me that I had nothing to do with the problem. Guilty of neglect? Poppycock. I was, after all, putting in 2000...sometimes...3000 hour shifts. Being that the details were... not my fault. They did what they could, but sacrifices had to be made. I feel I was the driving force. The hammer. They were the nails. My nails.

And I would hammer. Corporate visits, be they LP or a simple DM affair, would rarely go my way. But I am the force. Look at these numbers I would say. Why are they doing this to me. They are slacking. My team. This...this while I do my 3000 hour shifts. Fatal error? Nonsense. The fatal error was theirs.

LBWA works if you do it correctly. If you have the respect of your department managers everything will fall into place. That is, if the department managers are naturally hard working people with the intellect and perserverence to handle this oftentimes very difficult company. As I mentioned earlier, I was blessed with a wonderful team. If you do not garner the respect from such a group then you can only blame yourself. Lead by walking around, but do lead. And do walk around. And be present. 44 hours.

Cons

I covered some of them above. Corporate comes across as an uncaring beast.

I think this is true of most corporations however.

Wage freeze is also unfortunate.

See first paragraph please :)

Do your job. If you don't do your job, do not cry about the consequences.

There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!