Hastings Entertainment

Sound And Fury, signifying Nothing

Former Employee - Book Manager in Bryan, TX
Former Employee - Book Manager in Bryan, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

-Generally Hardworking, decent coworkers
-Decent Insurance/401k
-Interesting Product line
-Good Coffee in HBCs
-fair and flexible with scheduling (kinda have to be, stores get no hours)

Cons

-Poor staffing due to incredibly tight Labor Cost formula
-Divisive desires;Expectations of 'excellent customer service' AND '100% on-time completion of all Tasks' with minimal staff
- Most upper Management (i.e., Above DMs) Condescending and rude, unresponsive even hostile to questions or suggestions, seem to be, despite regular store visits, out of touch with the realities store level. Worse, they seem not to care.

Read the commentary in these postings, they will show you the way...
Do more than pay lip service to employee satisfaction. Happy workers, who know their Ideas and Ideals, their work and well-being are truly respected and valued makes for a better company
--the pay freeze has gone on too long, while Execs continue to get their bonuses

240 Other Employee Reviews for Hastings Entertainment (View Most Recent)

Less than positive.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Excellent discount's,employees I work with are excellent...including our manager and associate managers...I am given time off when needed and have a very flexible schedule when I need it.

Cons

My "problem" is not w/the folks I work with or my manager...it"s with the upper level corporate management in Texas! They have a "Dark Ages"management style...the workers are never given raises while the CEO Marmaduke receives huge annual bonus's (this year was 40% higher than last year) and yet there is a wage freeze in place! His VP's and other high level managers are well taken care of while the workers get crumb's...the system is not in anyway concerned w/the employee's...after almost 5 years I have yet to see a raise or COLA! When spring/summer shows up hours are slashed and hard working associates are cut back on hours and benefits as well...I work w/folks who have over 7 years of time w/the company as dept. managers who get 9.50 or less per hour and get their hours cut...Hasting Ent. has little regard for the day in day out associates!

Value your employees and let go of some of your greedy way of thinking...you loose excellent employees every day due to your backward way of running this company!

Great during school, never after that

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Flexible hours, enjoyable atmosphere, stress free employment.

Great job to have while still in school, or to pick up extra hours, because you never will "take work home" as they say. Worked throughout high school and college and enjoyed it the environment very much.

Cons

little opportunity for upward mobility, hourly pay, hours not always avaliable.

This is no place to try and make a living. We constantly had twice as many employees as necessary, so no one was able to get anywhere near the amount of hours they would have liked.

Less workers, more hours