There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment

I Would Never Reccomend It

Former Employee - Hardback Cafe Associate  in  Abilene, TX
Former Employee - Hardback Cafe Associate in Abilene, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

-Decent discounts
-Free paperback book a week
-Truly great co-workers
-Great atmopshere
-Regulars are usually fun to talk to
-MOSTLY understandable customers

Cons

-Management is clueless
-Communication is absolutely terrible
-Little to no training before they send you out alone
-Only time when they call you is when they want you to work, and the management always got mad when I was unavaliable
-Customers come first to them, if there's an unfair situation you're pretty much gone
-You're written up often and rarely ever know why
-Pitiful hours (mostly 12 hours a week)
-Everyone in the cafe often worked alone, even during our busiest hours
-I've walked into work often and didn't know of a reschedule
-All of this happened with other workers too

Give a little respect towards your employees. I (and 14 other employees) were fired due to loss in profits, when we rarely know what's going on. Treat us fairly and it will reflect in the store.

235 Other Employee Reviews for Hastings Entertainment (View Most Recent)

Less than positive.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Excellent discount's,employees I work with are excellent...including our manager and associate managers...I am given time off when needed and have a very flexible schedule when I need it.

Cons

My "problem" is not w/the folks I work with or my manager...it"s with the upper level corporate management in Texas! They have a "Dark Ages"management style...the workers are never given raises while the CEO Marmaduke receives huge annual bonus's (this year was 40% higher than last year) and yet there is a wage freeze in place! His VP's and other high level managers are well taken care of while the workers get crumb's...the system is not in anyway concerned w/the employee's...after almost 5 years I have yet to see a raise or COLA! When spring/summer shows up hours are slashed and hard working associates are cut back on hours and benefits as well...I work w/folks who have over 7 years of time w/the company as dept. managers who get 9.50 or less per hour and get their hours cut...Hasting Ent. has little regard for the day in day out associates!

Value your employees and let go of some of your greedy way of thinking...you loose excellent employees every day due to your backward way of running this company!

Great during school, never after that

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mount Pleasant, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment

Pros

Flexible hours, enjoyable atmosphere, stress free employment.

Great job to have while still in school, or to pick up extra hours, because you never will "take work home" as they say. Worked throughout high school and college and enjoyed it the environment very much.

Cons

little opportunity for upward mobility, hourly pay, hours not always avaliable.

This is no place to try and make a living. We constantly had twice as many employees as necessary, so no one was able to get anywhere near the amount of hours they would have liked.

Less workers, more hours

There are newer employer reviews for Hastings Entertainment

Worked for Hastings Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!