Hat World

www.hatworld.com
  www.hatworld.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hat World

I enjoyed working there because of the sports theme and reasonable customer base.

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hat World

Pros

-Gave me an opportunity to manage when I had little managing experience.
-You are constantly aware of how your store is performing and generally have conference calls each week to help your performance or recognize good performance.
-I learned great customer service skills and how to train and develop employees.
-If you are a sports fan, the conversations with customers are very easy and fun.

Cons

-You manage a smaller store in most cases, so you aren't really supervising many people, which makes it difficult to staff. If someone quits, you have to train them and work the extra hours on top of the 45 hrs mandatory you are working. This is frustrating at times when it seems you have a lack of leverage in this case.
-The compensation could have been better, but I think that is the case in most sales jobs.
-When supervising over 70hrs of employees other than yourself, you do not receive overtime pay, which isn't great because you are working more hours during holiday.

I think that management does a good job. I feel like they were honest with me and gave me opportunities to grow with the company.

37 Other Employee Reviews for Hat World (View Most Recent)

Run.

Current Employee - Store Management
    Current Employee - Store Management

I have been working at Hat World

Pros

Give the opportunity to advance without any real qualifications.
    In the right store, you may flourish, but that assignment may change
    Turnover is terrible. That should tell them something.
    You get discount hats.

Cons

"It's retail" is no excuse.
    Store management is a tool for them to use and discard.
    Will transfer you anywhere, regardless of your ability to travel there.
    Mangers, assistants are constantly in the crosshairs, hourlies are safer but may find themselves managers by vacuum in a very short time.
    You may work excessive hours due to manloading. 70+ hours a week is not unheard of for a store manager, because the manager must cover hours that are provided by the budget.
    Every manager's experience is different, be careful where you go, you can go from a healthy environment with good store security to a total wasteland in one transfer, then it's your fault when things go awry.
    Many stores have no security system for product retention and store management is fired after 2 bad audits. You are often in positions where you must run embroidery, watch the door, and do Point of Purchase in parallel.
    Corporate sales support is incompetant, and unresponsive to the people in the channel.
    Corporate would rather sell 3 dollar embroidery on a 20 dollar embroidery than a 36 dollar hat without it.

You should be ashamed. You have no consideration of the very people who provide your revenue stream.

You constantly throw the baby out with the bathwater. Great salespeople are discarded because of a "policy" issue and are replaced by mediocre people with no skills and you are okay with that.

You mislead young adults with opportunities for success which are really thinly veiled avenues to failure.

All of those people at headquarters who seem to be immune to scrutiny should be fired as quickly as the retail help because they hired incompetant people, sent them to the store and provided no security function to handle in-store theft. You can't judge people by an application, and you assign thieves as assistants and replace them with other thieves. Good HR. Local hires were at least reliable and honest. Yours were awful. Good job.

When employees can't go to the bathroom without closing the store, you have a OSHA problem. When employees are stressed and exhausted, you have a problem. When you can't recognize your own hand in this, you have a big problem.

Nice high school job

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Hat World

Pros

Great to work part time for while going through high school

Cons

No much room to promote, and when you do, very underpaid

Upper management should check references better before hiring new employees

There are newer employer reviews for Hat World