Hawaii State Department of Education

teaching in Hawaii

Current Employee - Second Grade Teacher in Honolulu, HI
Current Employee - Second Grade Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education

Pros

not bad hours, good kids, beautiful campus, nice community, intelligent principal, awesome coworkers, freedom to try new things in the classroom.

Cons

pay low for the state, many people look down on teachers and schools in Hawaii, job security is lacking these days.

To our lawmakers- please put education at the top of your list of priorities. Our children our the future of our state.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Hawaii State Department of Education (View Most Recent)

Not the best school district to work for

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Typical state benefits, although these have been cut due to budget constraints

Cons

A top heavy organization. There's too many people doing the same job at the administrative level when there needs to be more people working with the students. Pay is low comparatively to other districts & considering the cost of living. Lots of knee-jerk decision making that tends to be replaced with a new compliances the following year. Pay and benefits have also been cut due to budget restrictions.

Streamline management. Pay your educators what they're worth. Have people with appropriate training make important decisions after given time to appropriately conduct the research.

Indifferent

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education

Pros

As a teacher you work 181 days out of 365 days in a year, 18 sick days and three personal days.

Cons

As a teacher, you are required to join the union. Dues are taken out automatically from your paycheck. Dues go towards the union political agenda and union adminstrative salaries. It does not support teacher recruitment or over all wellbeing of the membership (e.g. no financial support if member has serious illness, or suffers a financial setback).

Little recognition or appreciation of work in the classroom.

An audit of the department of education is well overdue. Do your homework?

There are newer employer reviews for Hawaii State Department of Education