Hawaiian Telcom

There are newer employer reviews for Hawaiian Telcom

poor management

Current Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI
Current Employee - Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many talented individuals at the working level. There are lots of opportunities to succeed

Cons

The company has poor direction. With proper leadership and innovation this company could do very well.

thin out the top layer

22 Other Employee Reviews for Hawaiian Telcom (View Most Recent)

My outlook on the company and its goals and priorities have decreased steadily over time.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaiian Telcom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation is reasonable, there are many opportunities to learn given the large number of departments and the people are great.

Cons

Employee morale is low, because: upper management is out of touch with the realities faced by individual contributors, middle level management is constantly jockeying for position, it is very political, company is out of touch with the market. People our doing what's in their own best interest and there is no unity across the company.

If long-term success is desired, fix the culture issue.

old boy politics

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hawaiian Telcom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a working level person that likes to learn a variety of new things, it's the place for you. Once you establish yourself as a "problem solver", you can jump into nearly every problem and build a great set of skills.

Cons

As much of the reviews have said and EVERYONE in the company knows. The problem is middle and upper management; mostly the former. Middle management has been a problem since the Verizon cutover. Sure, there are a bunch of intelligent people in middle management but there are also some really bad ones; ones that speak eloquently and pass off blame but deliver next to nothing. Upper management is also at fault as they cycle through people every 2-3 years, bringing new middle management from previous companies with them. Good intentions but no historical context. Furthermore, they get conned into believing the middle management that speak well. All in all, a vicious cycle.

I loved the peers I worked with on a daily basis. The reason I left was really because there was zero accountability and way too much politics that got in the way of sound "business or technology decisions." Altogether very sad.

Make a conscious decision to leave behind the idea that "we are a big company." You really aren't. I've rarely (if ever) seen an SMT member leave the 17th floor to take a good hard look at what the real problems are at the working level. Strange...considering a good chunk of the workforce is within the same building... Whether, you want to believe it or not, there are a handful of key people at the working level that have great ideas to the big problems. Take the time to identify them and listen to what they have to say.

There are newer employer reviews for Hawaiian Telcom