There are newer employer reviews for Hazelden

Passionate employees, undermined by incompetent middle management

Former Employee - Senior Psychologist in Center City, MN
Former Employee - Senior Psychologist in Center City, MN

I worked at Hazelden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Committed 'in the trenches' workforce, admirable mission. The campus is beautiful, the commute doesn't have heavy traffic, that's really about it.

Cons

Where to start? 1-Clinicians are paid below market median both nationally and for the state of MN 2-There is a definite glass ceiling for employees not in recovery. Everyone knows who is and isn't because those who are talk about it incessantly, and go to the same meetings. 3-The most opaque management structure I've ever worked for. No one knows who makes important decisions, or how said decisions were made. When policies are changed, they are changed unilaterally, without input from employees who will actually be responsible for implementing the changes. 4-Related to # 3, when things go wrong, Hazelden is glacially slow at changing course 5-Despite espousing the use of empirically supported treatments, psychologists are given an absurd amount of latitude to do whatever they want, and so some of my former colleagues were/are practicing woefully outmoded treatment approaches. 6-Mercifully, the director of mental health was relieved of her duties a few months ago. This has not staunched the bleeding of the massive brain drain that has happened the last 2 years, where the mental health department has had 50% turnover. Those who left were all under 40, hungry, and highly productive. Those who stayed were the ones getting away with doing as little work as possible under the old leadership. 7-The mental health department was not adequately staffed the entire 3+ years I worked there. 8-There have been numerous layoffs in the last 6 months, and it is only getting worse. I could go on and on, but I think this is plenty.

Advice to Management

Make everything more transparent. Give employees a conduit to clearly state departmental concerns, without fear of retibution. For example, after being asked by management my opinions on what was wrong with the mental health department following the termination of the former director, I listed several growth areas. Shortly thereafter I accepted another job due to being consistently overworked and underpaid, I gave six weeks notice, and this was not honored/I was terminated and banned from campus. No explanation was given. This is not the way to attract talent, as treating doctoral level employees this way has a way of being disseminated.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center City, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Center City, MN

I have been working at Hazelden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hazelden is a great place to work. They offer a competitive benefit package, competitive salaries, beautiful locations and working environments, excellent work/life balance, a great mission and vision and a leadership team that keeps everyone informed on what is going on within the organization and why changes are being made. No company is going to keep everyone happy and the sense of entitlement amongst employees suprises me at times. The company is going through some growing pains as we try to increase revenue in order to provide our services to more patients and renovate our outdated facilities, but I feel that executive team has a great vision and will lead us in the right direction to get there.

Cons

I think overall the leadership team needs additional training in order to improvement employee engagement and retention.

Confusing, disorganized management structure; don't put their money where their mouth is

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Hazelden

Pros

I loved the patients and recovery.

Cons

Badly structured, incredibly poor processes, out-of-touch management, poor benefits, no respect. I had the single worst manager I have ever worked with in 30 years; she didn't know what I did but thought she did because she did the job ten years ago. No matter what I did I couldn't win: if I asked her for her opinion on something, it was useless because she didn't even know what I was talking about, although she pretended to, and if I didn't, I got slammed for not asking.

Advice to Management

You can't be world-class unless you treat your employees with class and behave with integrity, which you don't. You're always surprised when you get poor marks as an employer, but you don't listen to the folks in the trenches, even though you ask for our input.