Hazen and Sawyer

www.hazenandsawyer.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hazen and Sawyer

Hazen and Sawyer has provided me many opportunities to advance my skills and career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A great company. CEO is doing a great job positioning the firm for geographic growth as well as improving market share in existing areas. I joined Hazen and Sawyer 8 years ago from a much smaller firm and was concerned at the time of the perceived downside of joining a larger firm. My concerns weren't justified, as very early in my career I had the opportunity to manage projects, and I've taken on varied and interesting challenges through the years.

Cons

Some growing pains as the firm expands Westward and looks to cultivate a more diverse client base. Challenges as many capital programs for existing clients are projected to shrink, necessitating growth in new markets. Improved IT support could improve employee efficiency.

Stay the course!

24 Other Employee Reviews for Hazen and Sawyer (View Most Recent)

Perfect fit for motivated, self-starters who desire technical, client need driven engineering

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hazen offers a senior staff with vast, in-depth water and wastewater engineering experience. Because the company has solely focused on water and wastewater, individual engineers have maintained expertise in these two fields and offer an unsurpassed depth of knowledge. Employees truly maintain the best interests of the client and the environment, from selecting the most cost effective technology to meet/exceed environmental regulations to working ourselves out of future work by providing technical data/discussion against the occasional, potential legislation that may have minimal or nil positive benefit on the environment at a huge financial burden to the utilities. The bigger picture is not lost and because of this, we continue to win projects and maintain general consulting agreements with long term clients while maintaining a profitable business.

Every engineer has the opportunity to advance and work directly for clients at even an entry level. Little hierarchy exists - we all perform the work that is required for each and every project regardless of our level. Having Vice Presidents who still perform engineering (as opposed to only business development), significantly benefits our company financially but even more importantly our clients.

Cons

Young engineers who desire formal training and career pathways will be challenged here. Engineers must be outgoing and self-sufficient from the outset of their careers in order to excel. Assistance is available to young engineers, as a wealth of previous project experience exists, but will not be spoon fed.

Stay the course!

Great opportunities for motivated people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hazen and Sawyer is a growing, mid-size firm with extremely strong technical expertise. I work in the Raleigh office with an amazing group of people, both from a knowledge/technical standpoint and a social standpoint. For the younger crowd (and young at heart) there are a lot of official and unofficial activities that really make this a special place to work. For people who are willing to work hard, there are a lot of opportunities to advance and be given responsibility at a relatively young age. One thing that I really like is that all of our managers actually have technical expertise as well; everybody learns the technical background before being given additional responsibilities.

Cons

As the company has grown, there have been a few growing pains that are often related to communication. While word of mouth worked well for a small firm, our size now necessitates more formal communication about the state of the firm and where to get technical and other resources. The company structure has become more formalized over the past few years, which is probably needed to improve information flow and communication.

Keep working on improving communication throughout the company- I think that this has improved over the last year or so, and I know there are people working to improve this even more.

There are newer employer reviews for Hazen and Sawyer