There are newer employer reviews for Hazen and Sawyer

Hazen and Sawyer has provided me many opportunities to advance my skills and career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A great company. CEO is doing a great job positioning the firm for geographic growth as well as improving market share in existing areas. I joined Hazen and Sawyer 8 years ago from a much smaller firm and was concerned at the time of the perceived downside of joining a larger firm. My concerns weren't justified, as very early in my career I had the opportunity to manage projects, and I've taken on varied and interesting challenges through the years.

Cons

Some growing pains as the firm expands Westward and looks to cultivate a more diverse client base. Challenges as many capital programs for existing clients are projected to shrink, necessitating growth in new markets. Improved IT support could improve employee efficiency.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The company where trust doesn't exist.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great location for commuting. Nearby restaurants will make lunch options interesting. The free office coffee could be worse. For now at least I am safe.

Cons

You don't want to work here. This is a company built of fiefdoms that are fighting each other every single day to survive. The victims are the employees and the clients. Thanks to poor quality control at every single level and area of the work that gets produced here, Hazen and Sawyer has been blacklisted from getting new work in the northeast. With the company outlook being so bad layoffs are common place. Over worked younger cheaper employees who aren't trained properly are now shouldering the workloads of the many who were cut. If you want to work here be prepared to be forced to do unpaid overtime. Lots of unpaid overtime. Of course none of that is ever said in emails. But be prepared to be called into an office if you would like to use any vacation time, and be reminded how lucky you are to be employed here. Then being told taking a vacation, or even a single day off for a doctor's appointment isn't the best choice right now. Working hard doesn't keep you employed here, it's all about who you know. Unfortunately because of this we have lost many, many employees that we desperately needed. The work we do continues to suffer from this. Older employees are living in fear of the younger employees. Knowing they are there to take their positions. Unfortunately this has become increasingly ugly. Younger employees are finding themselves without proper training and the target of frequent scapegoating. Sadly HR has never been interested in protecting employee rights. The saddest part is that when you talk to employees who were let go, besides the uncertainty they feel about the job market, they all feel relieved. They are happy to be out of here. This isnt the company I wanted to joined, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't see this coming. Coming to work everyday gets harder and harder. Looking into the faces of younger employees fills me with guilt.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees as to what is going on. As is now the copy machines are working full blast on resumes. Every where you look people are scared, stressed, and angry about the way you have been mistreating them. It's harder and harder for us to go to work every day.

Great opportunities for motivated people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hazen and Sawyer is a growing, mid-size firm with extremely strong technical expertise. I work in the Raleigh office with an amazing group of people, both from a knowledge/technical standpoint and a social standpoint. For the younger crowd (and young at heart) there are a lot of official and unofficial activities that really make this a special place to work. For people who are willing to work hard, there are a lot of opportunities to advance and be given responsibility at a relatively young age. One thing that I really like is that all of our managers actually have technical expertise as well; everybody learns the technical background before being given additional responsibilities.

Cons

As the company has grown, there have been a few growing pains that are often related to communication. While word of mouth worked well for a small firm, our size now necessitates more formal communication about the state of the firm and where to get technical and other resources. The company structure has become more formalized over the past few years, which is probably needed to improve information flow and communication.

Advice to Management

Keep working on improving communication throughout the company- I think that this has improved over the last year or so, and I know there are people working to improve this even more.