There are newer employer reviews for Hazen and Sawyer

Hazen and Sawyer has provided me many opportunities to advance my skills and career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A great company. CEO is doing a great job positioning the firm for geographic growth as well as improving market share in existing areas. I joined Hazen and Sawyer 8 years ago from a much smaller firm and was concerned at the time of the perceived downside of joining a larger firm. My concerns weren't justified, as very early in my career I had the opportunity to manage projects, and I've taken on varied and interesting challenges through the years.

Cons

Some growing pains as the firm expands Westward and looks to cultivate a more diverse client base. Challenges as many capital programs for existing clients are projected to shrink, necessitating growth in new markets. Improved IT support could improve employee efficiency.

Stay the course!

23 Other Employee Reviews for Hazen and Sawyer (View Most Recent)

The company where trust doesn't exist.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great location for commuting. Nearby restaurants will make lunch options interesting. The free office coffee could be worse. For now at least I am safe.

Cons

You don't want to work here. This is a company built of fiefdoms that are fighting each other every single day to survive. The victims are the employees and the clients. Thanks to poor quality control at every single level and area of the work that gets produced here, Hazen and Sawyer has been blacklisted from getting new work in the northeast.
    With the company outlook being so bad layoffs are common place. Over worked younger cheaper employees who aren't trained properly are now shouldering the workloads of the many who were cut. If you want to work here be prepared to be forced to do unpaid overtime. Lots of unpaid overtime. Of course none of that is ever said in emails. But be prepared to be called into an office if you would like to use any vacation time, and be reminded how lucky you are to be employed here. Then being told taking a vacation, or even a single day off for a doctor's appointment isn't the best choice right now.
    Working hard doesn't keep you employed here, it's all about who you know. Unfortunately because of this we have lost many, many employees that we desperately needed. The work we do continues to suffer from this. Older employees are living in fear of the younger employees. Knowing they are there to take their positions. Unfortunately this has become increasingly ugly. Younger employees are finding themselves without proper training and the target of frequent scapegoating. Sadly HR has never been interested in protecting employee rights.
    The saddest part is that when you talk to employees who were let go, besides the uncertainty they feel about the job market, they all feel relieved. They are happy to be out of here.
    This isnt the company I wanted to joined, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't see this coming. Coming to work everyday gets harder and harder. Looking into the faces of younger employees fills me with guilt.

Be honest with your employees as to what is going on. As is now the copy machines are working full blast on resumes. Every where you look people are scared, stressed, and angry about the way you have been mistreating them. It's harder and harder for us to go to work every day.

Perfect fit for motivated, self-starters who desire technical, client need driven engineering

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hazen offers a senior staff with vast, in-depth water and wastewater engineering experience. Because the company has solely focused on water and wastewater, individual engineers have maintained expertise in these two fields and offer an unsurpassed depth of knowledge. Employees truly maintain the best interests of the client and the environment, from selecting the most cost effective technology to meet/exceed environmental regulations to working ourselves out of future work by providing technical data/discussion against the occasional, potential legislation that may have minimal or nil positive benefit on the environment at a huge financial burden to the utilities. The bigger picture is not lost and because of this, we continue to win projects and maintain general consulting agreements with long term clients while maintaining a profitable business.

Every engineer has the opportunity to advance and work directly for clients at even an entry level. Little hierarchy exists - we all perform the work that is required for each and every project regardless of our level. Having Vice Presidents who still perform engineering (as opposed to only business development), significantly benefits our company financially but even more importantly our clients.

Cons

Young engineers who desire formal training and career pathways will be challenged here. Engineers must be outgoing and self-sufficient from the outset of their careers in order to excel. Assistance is available to young engineers, as a wealth of previous project experience exists, but will not be spoon fed.

Stay the course!

There are newer employer reviews for Hazen and Sawyer

Worked for Hazen and Sawyer? Contribute to the Community!