www.nhsa.org
  www.nhsa.org
There are newer employer reviews for Head Start

Poor Management causes me to look for work elsewhere

Current Employee - Teacher in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Teacher in Portland, OR

I have been working at Head Start

Pros

The pay and benefits I believe are the best in the Portland Metro area. Taking time off is pretty accessible and other teachers are able to donate sick time when a teacher is in need.

Cons

I believe the teachers need more training and motivation, there is a major lack of this. There is training which is reviewed annually due to Federal guidelines, however there needs to be new and improved methods introduced. Management is not very competent and try to blame others when there is no need to. They are doing their job, however how they are doing their job could be done differently. There is no 3 strikes, you're out. It is just you are out. Teachers are not given the chance to learn. Teachers are written up and told to follow along. I continue to hear stories from others who have been demoted instantly and/or written up. The management does not support teachers well either. I have had an issue with a parent in the past and the management took the parents side.
Classrooms that were in desperate need of help did not look to management for help, or if they have, they were not given any proper help.When teachers tried to support each other, they were told their voice was not important and that teacher would have been in violation and written up if she continued.
 I've lost my appetite for teaching which is quite unfortunate because we need good teachers.

Talk to your teachers, learn from them and support them. Rework how to help teachers improve and give them notice when they do a great job. Work ethics need to be improved greatly.

33 Other Employee Reviews for Head Start (View Most Recent)

Hard work for low pay but intrinsically rewarding and good benefits

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Head Start

Pros

Head Start is a wonderful program. It has its glitches and red tape but the premise is important and you will get a lot of on the job training. The benefits are excellent as is the paid time off. There are some amazing teachers to learn from. You work with people who really need help. The standards are generally higher for this program than many others.

Cons

Upper management (at least in my agency) is disorganized and not entirely competent but in general site directors are pretty good. Because the job is union there are many staff who are sub-par yet keep their jobs year after year. This is frustrating to everyone else! The pay isn't wonderful but it's a good job for someone who is providing a second income.

Get it together, people! There is no program without teachers. You need to find a way to encourage the good and get rid of the incompetent. You also need to find a much better way of communicating amongst yourselves and with everyone else. Stop wasting so much money on unnecessary things so that you can afford things the program really needs.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Head Start

Pros

working with children and families in the head start is very rewarding...it also provides many opportunities for you to grwo within the field.

Cons

It gets very political at times. Not everyone is there for the children and families and thats what head start is all about

Listen to your employees. THey are the ones working closest with the families and without them the agencies would not run.

There are newer employer reviews for Head Start