Health Management Associates

www.hma.com

WHO IS HE AND WHAT DOES HE BELIEVE?

CPhT (Current Employee)

ProsHMA owns several hospitals in mostly rural areas. Hospitals are a necessity for health care and employees working at hospitals will usually maintain employment through bad economical times. The job is less prone to lay offs when compared to other fields of employment.

ConsHMA focuses on management of rural hospitals. I happen to work at a hospital in Southwest Florida area. Some of the financial practices that HMA has adopted for those small rural hospitals do not work well for the more urban hospital of a larger city. For instance, we have antiquated software that is so time consuming that it is a waste of manpower! Sometimes, we are limited to the type and amount of supplies we need to do our job effectively. Perhaps, these practices work well for more rural hospitals, but, times have changed and technology is the key to healthcare. HMA does not lead the way in technological advances and/or practices.

Also, they seem to hire many individuals that would be overlooked by other hospitals. We have several sharp, educated, sincere employees. However, we have some that are given tasks that are above their scope of understanding. When you work in the medical field, the patient relies on the employee to provide care and expertise. Honestly, I would want to hand pick my nurse should I be admitted to our hospital! The hospital hires many LPNs, perhaps because it costs them less in salaries. And don't get me wrong...there are many LPNs that are even better than an RN. I really do not think that management has a clue as to what makes a good nurse. They have appointed some nurses as Team Leaders and a few of these individuals should not be practicing. I am not sure that HMA really performs a quality background check on employees.

HMA has recently brightened our New Year by telling us that they will not be giving us a raise this year and they will not be matching our 401K contributions. This does not appear to be an effective way to maintain employee satisfaction!
I wonder if Management gets their bonuses! I did hear that they did not get the year end bonus. Why not examine the Upper Management and can one of them! instead of robbing from those faithful, dedicated employees who may make a meager yearly salary (that may be equal to the bonus stipend of Upper Management) Share the wealth among the many dedicated, blue collared workers who are working hard so management does not have to!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of all employees. Ancillary departments are just as crucial to Nursing as Nursing is crucial to patient satisfaction. I have not figured out a good reason why nurses get salary perks when ancillary staff do not. Nurses would have it very difficult to perforn their jobs if there was no Pharmacy or no Radiology, Lab or Respiratory Department. How can management cater to the nurses when it is all of us that rely on each other to foster the system to provide patient services? Often times only the nursing staff is offered bonuses for extra hours worked.

401K benefits are important. PTO hours equally important. Providing the staff with the right equipment to perform our jobs is a necessity.

I understand that Senior Management has to be concerned with finances. But, honestly, it seems like management is too concerned with the "Almighty Dollar' and not concerned about their employees There has to be a happy medium! Management has difficulty hearing from their employees. Typically, management has no idea how things really happen!
I think they would benefit from on-the-job experience, like working in the various departments, to broaden their understanding. It should not be all abouth the dollar!

HMA

Medical Technologist (Former Employee) Monroe, GA

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The particular HMA hospital that I worked for was … Cons: The pay rate compared to surrounding hospitals was far less than competitive. Management would act… Advice to Senior Management: Become more visible by department rounding and implement a better… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

The worst place I have ever worked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros: You get paid instead of living on the streets. You get… Cons: It seems that poor management is a part of the culture at HMA, from the home office, the hospitals to the billing office. When you… Advice to Senior Management: Please please consider evaluating how you treat people. Treat people… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Health Management Associates.

Worked for Health Management Associates? Contribute to the Community!