Hard work without decent pay.

Former Employee - Patient Access Associate
Former Employee - Patient Access Associate

I worked at Health Management Associates

Pros

I was taught several different jobs in my year at HMA. Upon my arrival at HMA I was taught PBX (switchboard) operations, admissions (collection of patient demographics), and insurance verification of many types.

Cons

The downsides to working at this specific HMA facility are: not knowing what shift you will be working or when, never having a definate schedule, and not being feeling as though your hard work is apprecaited. In my opinion the department that I worked in could have been better managed by someone who had previous knowledge of the admissions aspect of health care.

Your employees in the admissions department work very hard and should be paid accordingly. Essentailly your hospital could not run effectivley without them. I feel that your hospitals would run smoother if your department heads had knowledge of the work their employees are doing.

Other Reviews for Health Management Associates

Look at other hospital operators

Current Employee - Controller  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Controller in Naples, FL

I have been working at Health Management Associates

Pros

Hospital benefits are fairly good- employees are 100% covered for services within a HMA facility

Cons

Terrible vacation benefits- only 2 weeks per year for the first 4 years of service!!

You will lose talent if you don't improve vacation policy and work/life balance

Burke Whitman is doing a good job. It'll be interesting to see if he can turn this company around.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Naples, FL

I worked at Health Management Associates

Pros

The corporate staff is so small that one gets a chance to know all the players. In some departments (I guess depending on the manager), developing their employees is top priority. HMA has probably the best CFO training program in the industry.

Cons

Accountants run the company. Therefore, in order to increase margins, they customarily cut costs. Over the years, decreased in spending in infrastructure has come back to haunt the company. What used to be their competitive advantage, Information Systems, has become a burden.

Look outside the industry for innovations. There comes a point in time that you can't admit everyone under the sun and that payers will decrease payments. If HMA seeks to be the #1 provider of health care services in term of quality, then they should leverage their name nationwide, especially in the Florida and Mississippi markets.

Why start all the initiatives and spend all that money if not to build a recognizable brand? The days of "every market is different" excuse is over. Sole-source markets will be very competitive soon, if not already.

Gain stability. Do things well. Build a brand. Leverage the heck out of it.

There are newer employer reviews for Health Management Associates.

Worked for Health Management Associates? Contribute to the Community!