There are newer employer reviews for Health Management Associates

Poor Management

Current Employee - Registration in Amory, MS
Current Employee - Registration in Amory, MS

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some really great people in some of the departments. I love working with patients and taking care of their needs.

Cons

This hospital is run by management who care about the all mighty dollar. My job title is one title description, however I work 4 different jobs for the price of one. I am doing jobs that nurses should be doing and not registration. Upper management does not care about their employees-we work with poor equipment that only works half the time, one raise in the 4 years I have been here, and the employees who do hard a job do not get recognized. They changed our ins plan from cigna, which was decent, to humana where premiums went up, then they tell us to take the lesser plan because we will save money, but if you look at it, by doing so, you will benefiting them because HMA is out less money on deductibles and oop expense. Hours are constantly being cut, but they expect you to do a 40-50 hour week job in 32 hours or so which leave employees disgruntled ergo effects patient care. We have lost many good and valuable employees because of policy changes, poor management, and no offering of competitive wages. I was so proud when I first started to work for a HMA hospital, but when I here patients complain of the care and the quality of our hospital, I just hang my head.

The programs upper management creates like getting to great, actually follow that slogan. Hire management that cares and listens to employee input. Invest in some new equipment and tell your employees what a good job they are doing. I know if I was told every now and then what a great job I was doing or I meant something to this company, doing 4 jobs for the price of one and the lack of a raise wouldn't hurt so bad. Invest, invest, invest....Invest in your employees and hospital to give the best service possibe then you would see more productivity out of your employees and happier patients. Give us an incentive to want to come to work and actually happy to be here....

45 Other Employee Reviews for Health Management Associates (View Most Recent)

Do not work here if you can help it

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time

Pros

Will take new grads
    70 hospitals nationwide and opportunities to transfer

Cons

Unloyal to employees
    Poor patient care/reputation
    Dangerously low staffing levels
    High turnover
    Do not incentivize education opportunities

Invest in the associates and the future. No quarter to quarter numbers and promotions for upper management. Practice what you preach

EVS

Former Employee - Evs in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Evs in Jackson, MS

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job Security, co-workers, and ability to complete work

Cons

Outsourced EVS, new company has a different culture

Think of the little guy when making big decisions

There are newer employer reviews for Health Management Associates