Company puts money before employee satisfaction and patient care

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large stable company with many facilities all over the US

Cons

No loyalty to long term employees. It is difficult to get approval to hire necessary employees or purchase equipment needed for patient care. They make promises to physicians to get them hired, but then do not provide the resources to support them. They continue to cut staff and expect others to absorb the work.

Provide the resources to hospitals and clinics to adequately take care of patients. At least visit the hospitals for which you are denying funding for necessary staff and equipment. Provide adequate staff to keep up with all of the controls or policies so everyone isn't set up to fail.

Other Reviews for Health Management Associates

This company does not support their employees.

Current Employee - Emergency Room Nurse  in  Spring Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Emergency Room Nurse in Spring Hill, FL

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Self Scheduling, flexible uniform code.

Cons

Low pay, lack of management support and visibility, lack of credible CEU's only provides the basic requirements. Slow ER process of patients, no working system.

There needs to be applicable education for the department. Upper management needs to be more visible to be plugged into what works and doesn't work in the department and who is an effective worker and who is just taking up space with very little productivity. Increase pay to be more competitive instead of sending out emails that state you are giving pay equitable raises and then not following thru. You will have an increase in job satisfaction if you do these simple steps and retain your nurses instead of losing employees to all other local hospitals and being short staffed on a day to day basis.

Poor Management

Current Employee - Registration  in  Amory, MS
    Current Employee - Registration in Amory, MS

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work with some really great people in some of the departments. I love working with patients and taking care of their needs.

Cons

This hospital is run by management who care about the all mighty dollar. My job title is one title description, however I work 4 different jobs for the price of one. I am doing jobs that nurses should be doing and not registration. Upper management does not care about their employees-we work with poor equipment that only works half the time, one raise in the 4 years I have been here, and the employees who do hard a job do not get recognized. They changed our ins plan from cigna, which was decent, to humana where premiums went up, then they tell us to take the lesser plan because we will save money, but if you look at it, by doing so, you will benefiting them because HMA is out less money on deductibles and oop expense. Hours are constantly being cut, but they expect you to do a 40-50 hour week job in 32 hours or so which leave employees disgruntled ergo effects patient care. We have lost many good and valuable employees because of policy changes, poor management, and no offering of competitive wages. I was so proud when I first started to work for a HMA hospital, but when I here patients complain of the care and the quality of our hospital, I just hang my head.

The programs upper management creates like getting to great, actually follow that slogan. Hire management that cares and listens to employee input. Invest in some new equipment and tell your employees what a good job they are doing. I know if I was told every now and then what a great job I was doing or I meant something to this company, doing 4 jobs for the price of one and the lack of a raise wouldn't hurt so bad. Invest, invest, invest....Invest in your employees and hospital to give the best service possibe then you would see more productivity out of your employees and happier patients. Give us an incentive to want to come to work and actually happy to be here....

There are newer employer reviews for Health Management Associates.

Worked for Health Management Associates? Contribute to the Community!