Senior Management is the pits

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Naples, FL
Former Contractor - Project Manager in Naples, FL

I worked at Health Management Associates as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, 9-5 working hours, staff is friendly and hard working

Cons

Sr. management is ineffectual. It was the "old boys network". Many executives got to positions of power doing nothing. They are not leaders. Treat the IT staff like animals, always laying off the good workers and keeping the bottom dwellers. Staff is overworked and underpaid. No clear direction set. A lot of "positioning" by management. As a public company, tried to set corporate governance, but was a joke. No advancement, and became scapegoat to anything gone wrong. No accountability, and only interested in profit and bottom line.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bums and put in resources that embrace change, quality of care and advancement

Other Employee Reviews for Health Management Associates

Poor Management

Current Employee - Registration in Amory, MS
    Current Employee - Registration in Amory, MS

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some really great people in some of the departments. I love working with patients and taking care of their needs.

Cons

This hospital is run by management who care about the all mighty dollar. My job title is one title description, however I work 4 different jobs for the price of one. I am doing jobs that nurses should be doing and not registration. Upper management does not care about their employees-we work with poor equipment that only works half the time, one raise in the 4 years I have been here, and the employees who do hard a job do not get recognized. They changed our ins plan from cigna, which was decent, to humana where premiums went up, then they tell us to take the lesser plan because we will save money, but if you look at it, by doing so, you will benefiting them because HMA is out less money on deductibles and oop expense. Hours are constantly being cut, but they expect you to do a 40-50 hour week job in 32 hours or so which leave employees disgruntled ergo effects patient care. We have lost many good and valuable employees because of policy changes, poor management, and no offering of competitive wages. I was so proud when I first started to work for a HMA hospital, but when I here patients complain of the care and the quality of our hospital, I just hang my head.

Advice to Management

The programs upper management creates like getting to great, actually follow that slogan. Hire management that cares and listens to employee input. Invest in some new equipment and tell your employees what a good job they are doing. I know if I was told every now and then what a great job I was doing or I meant something to this company, doing 4 jobs for the price of one and the lack of a raise wouldn't hurt so bad. Invest, invest, invest....Invest in your employees and hospital to give the best service possibe then you would see more productivity out of your employees and happier patients. Give us an incentive to want to come to work and actually happy to be here....

Do not work here if you can help it

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time

Pros

Will take new grads 70 hospitals nationwide and opportunities to transfer

Cons

Unloyal to employees Poor patient care/reputation Dangerously low staffing levels High turnover Do not incentivize education opportunities

Advice to Management

Invest in the associates and the future. No quarter to quarter numbers and promotions for upper management. Practice what you preach