Health Net

There are newer employer reviews for Health Net

bad senioe leaders in MHN

Current Employee - Program Manager
Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Health Net full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

salary, benefits, technology and teleworking

Cons

poor leadership by senior leaders. Don't walk the walk....

Manager your leaders better

148 Other Employee Reviews for Health Net (View Most Recent)

Has potential to be great, just can't seem to manage it.

I have been working at Health Net full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For the exempt associate, given the right manager, you can have quite a bit of flexibility in your hours but the expectation is that when it's needed, you'll be available to do the job that's needed even if it's off hour or longer than 8 hours a day. Work environment is the typical cubicle farm, and depending on which business unit you're with and which part of the building you're in, you might have a high walled cube with a decent level of privacy/low noise, or a tiny low walled cramped one with quite a bit of noise from those around.

Cons

The IT Department, which is for the most part outsourced and made up of contractors, seems to be at odds with the business areas which leads to a level of conflict which continues to cause issues, especially with getting system changes put into place. Level of IT support varies from good to horrible, depending on who you get. IT projects consist of too much bureaucratic paperwork that ends up not being done correctly anyhow resulting in projects full of missed requirements badly functioning systems.

Uses the "waterfall" model of development, and does it as badly as I've ever seen in my 30+ year career.

Upper management says the right things, but when observing the reality of the situation, one has to be skeptical about whether it's just a shuck and jive act or do they really mean what they say.

You need to go further to resolve the issues related to the IT Department. The great experiment in outsourcing doesn't seem to be worth it. Spending more money to get shoddy work, even though it might be in the right accounting bucket, isn't worth it in the long run. Get a small core group of people who understand the system and can get things done, then take all the bureaucratic requirements out of their way and let them work. Ditch the waterfall model of software develoment and go with agile development with small teams consisting of an analyst, a couple developers and a QA person.

Slow-paced 9 to 5

I worked at Health Net

Pros

It's a steady slow-paced 9 to 5 job. There's never a sense of feeling rushed or overwhelmed. Work load is light and low-stressed.

Cons

I did not get the chance to work on very many interesting projects or very many projects for that matter. When I finished a lot of my projects, there was no more work coming in. A lot of my time was wasted doing nothing which is not good for employee morale.

Have an in-house training program for employees to take on more challenging roles.

There are newer employer reviews for Health Net