There are newer employer reviews for Healthline

Healthline perfects the outdated business model of CPM arbitrage.

Current Employee - Ad Operations Manager
Current Employee - Ad Operations Manager

I have been working at Healthline

Pros

Healthline received several rounds of venture capital and employees can skate by without doing any real work because the exec team is clueless.

Cons

Exec team has zero focus on any real business objectives. There is no business model other than CPM arbitrage. Average age of the exec team is over 50, and no one above the manager level has any knowledge of the internet.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and save the board some much needed capital. Hire replacements that actually understand the internet. Stop convincing yourselves that the company will make it because the venture capital is almost gone.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Summer Internship

Current Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Healthline as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here at Healthline are very nice and welcoming. I have been working here as an intern for a few weeks and have had only positive experiences with the people. From working here, I have learned a lot about the company. I am working with Mark, the recruiter, and I am learning a lot about the recruiting process. I am really enjoying working here at Healthline and I would love to return after my internship is over.

Cons

I haven't yet experienced any downsides of working at Healthline

Good Technology but Wallflower Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Healthline

Pros

* conservative management - the company isn't going out of business anytime soon. * focus on sales - management very focused on closing sales which is good because sales == money == salary and other good things. * interesting technology - the company's main focus is on products built around its human curated medical taxonomy, such as concept search, contextual advertising, NLP, etc. The ability to annotate against a high quality taxonomy makes many tasks easier/possible. * good people - coworkers are friendly and nice, almost like family to me. * fun workplace - company organizes a Halloween and Christmas party, as well as several other smaller parties throughout the year. * dog friendly - if that matters to you, it does make it convenient for dog owners. * free food - catered lunch every Fridays (at least in Engineering), free bulk foods (of the healthy variety) in the kitchen, free coffee and tea. * compensation - Speaking for myself, I feel I was adequately compensated for my contributions to the company (although compensations are usually lower than market in the general case). * medical insurance - the provide a variety of plans, but push the high deductible plan, which actually makes sense for most people, so it works out well.

Cons

* conservative management - management is very risk averse, they prefer to sell the same thing in the same market. This has changed recently but we would probably have been better off if we moved earlier. * focus on sales - comparatively much lower focus on product improvement, innovations, etc, although I believe that is changing also. * work life balance - like most startups, there is expectation of weekend/evening/holiday work. But in some groups, this expectation is unbounded. Although in all fairness, tradeoffs do exist if you want out. * lack of learning opportunities - the company is very focused on its own technology and while you will learn that in spades, you will find yourself getting out of touch with trending technology unless you work to keep yourself abreast. * lack of innovation - the bar to new ideas is set very high, as a result of which people give up and many potentially good ideas are left unexplored. I was fortunate in this regard, but had to work relatively harder to get my ideas accepted here than other places I have worked at. * poor image - the company is generally unknown outside the industry (not the norm, look at WebMD). Within the industry, it is generally regarded as somewhat boring, with no single defining focus - which is sad, because it has good technology and good people and is good at many things.

Advice to Management

I worked in Engineering and didn't interact much with other groups, so my advice is focused on Engineering. * increase public awareness about company - encourage engineers to present at conferences and meetups, seek out Director/CTO level summits to present at, promote the uniqueness of the technology and demonstrate its use in solving pressing problems, other business type things that get people talking about Healthline. * invest in engineering - send engineers to conferences, give them new tools to work with, encourage them to work on new things and be open to new ideas they try to implement into products. * be open to new technology ideas from junior staff - these are the guys who are most in touch with emerging trends. And good ideas can come from anywhere.