There are newer employer reviews for Hearsay Social

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Non exec employees are all very nice
- Smart people
- Fun atmosphere
- Free food
- Good location

Cons

- Stanford elitism mentality exists here - coming from the top down (founders both Stanford alums). Didn't go to Stanford? You're 2nd class
- Not much transparency from upper management to rest of company
- Bitter employees do exist here - you'll come across many whispering in conference rooms spreading general negativity
- They over promise and under deliver when it comes to your career trajectory
- C-execs have favorites - don't expect to move up unless you're one of them

Hearsay Social Response

Sep 23, 2014CTO

Glad that you're enjoying at least some parts of the company!

As for Stanford elitism, Clara & I did go to Stanford--but none of the rest of the executive team did, and as far as I know only 1 of
... More

8 Other Employee Reviews for Hearsay Social (View Most Recent)

Interesting company in transition from startup to expanding market leader.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearsay Social full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people. This is a very social company; the people at Hearsay like to spend time with each other. There are self-organized activities like ball games, concerts, dinners out, or even just going out for Friday night drinking in the Mission. There is no pressure to be that way, and indeed many people are not, but if you want to work with a group of people who are fun to work with and fun to hang out with as well, this is a great place.

The people (yes they get two paragraphs). I don't work that closely with people across the company, but the engineers here are top-notch. Some of the best engineers I've worked with in my career, even. Not everyone comes from a CS-degree background, and there are a bunch of people who have very non-traditional backgrounds.

Future potential. Hearsay's business is doing really well, and the company is rapidly expanding. This is good not just for your stock options, but for your career path as well, at least as far as the engineering group goes. There are many opportunities to mentor other engineers and based on the growth, there should be long-term potential to manage projects or teams if you're inclined to do so (see note below for clarification about executives, though).

Empowerment. Generally speaking, if you see something wrong, as Hearsay employee is empowered to act and fix the problem. Most of the time this just involves talking to office staff, but the employees are generally pretty proactive about solving other issues, too. In engineering, there is a *ton* of independence and autonomy allowed; engineering is responsible for the product, with input from other groups.

Impact. Hearsay is growing quickly, but it's still a small company. Engineers build new software that impacts our bottom line in weeks, not months. The Hearsay Customer Success team makes an impact daily on end users that call or email with questions.

Cons

Every company gets things wrong. Hearsay impresses me because most of the things that the company gets wrong are what I consider to be relatively small things. At previous companies, I always became frustrated by the number and severity of solvable problems that management didn't pay attention to, but I think because Hearsay employees are generally empowered to fix things, there are fewer of that type of problem.

The office isn't in the sleekest space; I've been to other SF startups in new buildings, and the office at Hearsay doesn't compete with a brand-new building. The Hearsay office is, however, pretty conveniently located next to the Caltrain station, which means that you can get to it on public transit from almost anywhere pretty easily.

Opportunities for executive leadership are limited (VP-level and above); it seems like the company wants to mostly hire-in executive from other companies instead of promoting them from within. There are exceptions, and this is one of those things that I think most companies do, though, so this isn't unusual.

As I mentioned above, there is a lot of growth going on. While this is mostly a good thing, it causes growing pains. Sometimes senior leadership is slow to let go of things that are no longer working as they did when Hearsay was a much smaller company. In addition, because of the growth, processes that were unnecessary when Hearsay was smaller are becoming more necessary and sometimes take too long to be put into place.

For engineering, there has been a "move fast and break things" (a la Facebook) mentality which has served the company well for the first few years. As we've transitioned to a successful business with many users, however, we haven't converted our engineering/coding mindset to one that is more like "move as fast as you can without breaking too much." Sometimes testing and refactoring get squeezed because of that.

Hearsay has a great office vibe and every day validates my feelings of my first interview and the people I met. That is definitely the best part about working here, and I hope that as we grow we manage to maintain that.

As we grow, though, don't cling too tightly to what we did before. "Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth." Change is gonna be necessary, and it's a good thing: it means we're successful as a company.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearsay Social as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, accommodation, people, culture, perks

Cons

Sometimes disorganized, didn't get promoted while I was here

There are newer employer reviews for Hearsay Social