There are newer employer reviews for Hearst Corporation

Not what I thought it would be

Former Intern - Editorial Intern in New York, NY
Former Intern - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

• Learned how to navigate through NYC, which is great skill to have. Once you know 1 city, you can easily navigate another • Lots of free stuff from samples and photoshoots • Got 1 byline in national magazine • Got to attend photoshoots, which was fun! • Last week of my internship I got to help in the fashion department and work in fashion closet.

Cons

• No pay and I worked 40 hours per week for entire summer • Had to pay all travel expenses • Interns got the less-desirable jobs like running around the city to pick up samples • Was told I would get a few bylines throughout the summer but only got 1 and it was not an article—it was a sidebar • Management says they want peoples’ ideas but they don’t. The magazine has such a set tone that they aren’t willing to try anything new or fun. • They didn’t have enough work for me. Everytime I asked what I could do, my supervisor said she “had nothing right now”. I ended up sitting at my desk surfing the net most of the time. (If you don’t have enough work for me, don’t keep me during my summer working 40 hours per week. Cut me to 20 per week or something) • Very clicky atmosphere. It was like high school all over again. Awful!

Advice to Management

• Pay interns at least minimum wage. • give transportation vouchers. If interns are running your errands you should at least pay subway ware.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Experience

I have been working at Hearst Corporation full-time

Pros

Fast paced, best of the best

Cons

Petty sales team, stuffy environment

2. Not bad, not great, not a lot of growth potential.

Former Employee - Operations Technician
    Former Employee - Operations Technician

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good, stable company. Easy to work 40 hours/week, management friendly but aloof. Hours are not great but they are consistent. Benefits include good healthcare plan and 401k with company contributions.

Cons

Pay was near the bottom of the market payscale, not much potential to grow one's career there.