There are newer employer reviews for Hearst Corporation

Lots of opportunities once in the company.

Former Employee - Editor  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits. Salaries are fair. Once you are in one magazine, it's possible to switch to another one easily. Once you are at Hearst, the company looks out for you.

Cons

In magazines, long hours are expected. The goal is to get the mag out on time, no matter how late you have to work.

In senior positions, that is, jobs that are not billed by the hour, some considerations should be given to the number of hours and late nights one has to work.

175 Other Employee Reviews for Hearst Corporation (View Most Recent)

Associate Designer

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful building / workspace, great team to work with, knowledgeable mentor that took the time to teach and advise

Cons

Unstable career path, especially in editorial field. Never know when a magazine will fold or when a team will get laid off.

In a company as large as Hearst, I would hope that if there is a time when a magazine folds, that the company would do it's best to place the employees elsewhere within.

The people were nice, but the internship was incredibly boring.

Former Employee - Intern (Editorial)  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern (Editorial) in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

All of my supervisors were very kind and cheerful people. The office itself was very nice and not a bad place to spend the day. The food is amazing, though you have to pay for it yourself. Great coffee machine. I got some free cosmetics and housewares which was cool.

Cons

I spent probably 80% of my unpaid internship sitting around at the computer doing nothing. My supervisors wouldn't ever send me home and acted like it was a huge favor to let me leave early, even when I had nothing to do for the entire day. The things I did do were pretty menial- transcribing interviews, physically moving around packages, and Googling things. Considering it was unpaid, I didn't feel like I learned enough or made enough connections to be worth it. Many of the "meet and greets" were scheduled on days when I did not work, which was very annoying. Likewise, most of the "intern perks" (AKA free stuff) were given away on a day I did not work. My schedule was in no way unusual, just unluckily timed.

Pay your interns or don't make them sit around for hours on end. I'm sure this depends on the department, but looking back on my experience, I really should have quit before I finished.

There are newer employer reviews for Hearst Corporation

Worked for Hearst Corporation? Contribute to the Community!