Hearst Corporation

www.hearst.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hearst Corporation

Looking for growth, autonomy and open-minded creative thinking? YOU'RE NOT GOING TO FIND IT HERE.

Former Employee - Human Resources, Benefits Administration and Learning & Development in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful building
Smart people
Delicious cafeteria foods and snacks
Looks great on your background
Helps you build a thicker skin since you have to to deal with the ruthless sharks in this place...

Cons

Significantly below market salaries
Stubborn management who will throw subordinates under the bus at the drop of a hat.
No internal mobility
Lack of honest communication or integrity
No social culture at all
If you attempt to think "outside of the box" you will be pushed out, I left on my own - but saw this firsthand from several people on my team. Some of the best in the industry.

Cultivate your talent from within, learn to think outside the box so that you can compete with other media outlets and not have the best people run to your competitors. Improve how you communicate and learn to listen rather than push people out because they didn't agree with you the first time. Also, embrace diversity - things like letting slender people wear what they want and not letting someone curvy wear the same thing is not only demoralizing, but also ILLEGAL. As are criticizing people for external things like nail color, hair style, etc. Natural hair as long as clean and well kept is NOT a crime - but the attitudes of women in higher positions IS.

218 Other Employee Reviews for Hearst Corporation (View Most Recent)

Best internship experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A variety of projects to take on - from editing to product testing. I really enjoyed my time here.

Cons

Not many cons. Company culture could be more integrative

Lots of opportunities once in the company.

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Hearst Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Salaries are fair. Once you are in one magazine, it's possible to switch to another one easily. Once you are at Hearst, the company looks out for you.

Cons

In magazines, long hours are expected. The goal is to get the mag out on time, no matter how late you have to work.

In senior positions, that is, jobs that are not billed by the hour, some considerations should be given to the number of hours and late nights one has to work.

There are newer employer reviews for Hearst Corporation