Heartland Payment Systems

www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com
  www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com
There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

It has been a financially rewarding experience over the last six years.

Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager
Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great service center support and excellent technology.

Cons

Lead generation by the company does not seem to exist.

Develop, execute, and maintain a system to sales leads.

249 Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems (View Most Recent)

No longer a sales driven organization, it's all about the stock price and earnings..

Current Employee - Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person.

Heartland has great technology which allows me to sign up pretty much any merchant who has any type of equipment or POS system.

Cons

Merchants must pay the shipping to return a rental terminal to us.

Sales Compensation is constantly dinging us for site inspection fees, install fees, NRA fees and the negative true ups that occur when a merchant leaves their contract before one year. Many times merchant's leave because of something that Heartland did (delayed funding, mis-billings, holds on large transactions that don't get dealt with immediately, letters that get sent out from Heartland to the merchant, wrong information given to the merchant by the Service Center etc...).

Heartland's costs are much higher than the competition so as reps we have to charge a much higher cost to our clients so we aren't as competitive as we used to be.

Unsuccessful reps are now in positions of power and they hold training classes on how to sign business above the $6,000 minimum yet when they were reps, they were never even successful as an RM/Sales Person. What are we going to learn from these people if they were never able to accomplish their sales goals?

Veteran reps that used to be all-stars are now gone and I have to now compete with them in the field. This is just a tragedy and I can't believe that Heartland ran off the most educated in our industry.

Constant changes nearly every 2 weeks that somehow affect the sales people's pay or some policy that forces us to give up partial control of our customers to Heartland's Service Center. We are no better than First Data if you believe that some guy at a call center is better than me at saving merchants from leaving Heartland. This is just plain dilusional. I am paid a residual on these accounts so I have "skin the game" and always give 120% to save an account. If our CEO feels otherwise, he needs to go with me and many others on an attrition call. Attrition is a natural part of this business and believe me, you have serious yahoos on the Portfolio Mgmt Team that have never sat with a merchant in their life to try and save them.

Stop cutting our pay as sales reps. Stop the condescending attitude and tone that you use when speaking to us through Atlas and on News and Views calls. Respect is earned not demanded. When you demand respect, you are now a dictatorship.

Take the compensation plan back where you had it years ago. 20% residual across the board and no junk fees charged to my A/R balance like site inspection fees and install fees. Get rid of the revenue sharing that exists with the National Restaurant Association. This is killing your resaturant sales. If I have the option to sign a restaurant or a retail account, I'm going for the retail account so I don't have to "revenue share" with the NRA. There was a restaurant opening near my home and I never stopped in because I know how little money I make on restaurants with Heartland.

When calculating a negative signing bonus true-up on a merchant that has left before 1 year, go back to the old way where you pro-rate the signing bonus based on how many months out of 12 that the merchant completed.

Portfolio buyouts should not be based on your discretion, they should be based on our contract that was written years ago not the one you have updated to suit your needs. This is now a one-sided contract and yet, you "sell it" as "long term wealth for our families". It's not long term wealth for my family when you can sell it out from under me anytime you wish to please your Board of Directors or to pay down my A/R balance that went above $2500. You constantly put "hoops" in that we have to jump through in order to get a portfolio buyout: No more than 1 buyout per 6 months, attrition must be lower than company average and the moon and stars must line up. The odds for this are worse than an NFL football bet on Superbowl.

Please stop mico-managing us with business plans, daily emails that have to be sent to our managers and then afternoon follow ups with our managers. This is just nonesense and is totally unproductive. Many RM's just send the email every morning to appease the manager and then in the afternoon, they just tell the manager that their "plan" didn't work out today. It's straight commission sales not a salaried position. If we don't sell anything, we don't get paid.

Stop laying off AM's and then not adjusting our residuals to give us back our 5% servicing that we are now doing because you laid off the one and only AM that we had. If this AM program is "costing you too much", think about this, you didn't have to pay for it! You took that 5% from all the RM's nationwide more than 5 years ago and never looked back.

All the changes you have made have negatively affected sales and the morale at this company. Don't blame us for low sales or lack of enthusiam, blame yourselves for the poor job you have been doing for years. Just due to the micro-managing and daily reporting alone, many RM's are now entertaining offers from other companies whereas before, they never would of dreamed of leaving Heartland. Now they are looking at their next steps to move on. Please do the right thing and go back to when you treated us as the sales engine of this company, not the red-headed stepchild that deserves to be beat down. We have been loyal, honest and have the utmost integrity so we deserve to be treated as such.

Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Potential to create residual income for life!

Cons

Have to be able to sell.

More training better screening of applicants.

There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems